Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
oh.. well.. looks like I am pretty much stuck with driving the car...
Good luck Tuesday.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pepper - '87 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 30.42 mpg (US)
yea, that.. I'm more excited about tomorrow.. Tomorrow we install the new injectors into my friends Delorean..
Old 06-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I just noticed a thread about a Honda Passport C70... I bet one of those would do me good
Old 06-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I put in my resume today for the photographer job so.. we shall see how that goes. In the mean time I need help on bicycle stuff. In the past I would just buy the coolest one that fit me.. lol

I think a road bike would suit me best. If the weather is incliment or I am sick(rarely sick) I can just drive. I can leave work clothes at work and wear proper bicycling attire and a helmet . I would need a light of course for night time riding, flashing light thingy, reflective clothing, maybe an air horn too..

The route I outlined is decent as I would only be in the 65 mph zone for .5 miles ish. and everyone decels at that location. Some of it has sidewalks but bikes are not allowed on them. Once of US-27 it is all down hill and a lot of bikers go down that road and then right into work.

I really want to bike, not only to be carbon free but for my health. I have health insurance ..

I could carry a chain on my bicycle like my friends do on their crotch rockets. stupid motorists harras them, push them off the road and crap... so in return they get nice scratches or dents for endgering ones life
Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Speedster - '69 Schwinn Speedster
TheDon,

I definitely recommend bicycle commuting as a way to save money, reduce your personal carbon footprint and get into better shape. I also recommend that you do some reading before you buy a bike.

There are many 'kinds' of bikes with pros and cons for each and picking the right one isn't necessarily as simple as picking a 'good road bike'. This page en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bicycle_types gives a basic overview of the basic types of bike. A 'road bike' may not be the best choice for commuting as they usually don't have room or mounts for fenders or a rack which can be very handy.

I would definitely check out the bike shop near you and explain what you want to do and see what they suggest. You should also check out other bike shops in your area as different shops have different 'personalities' and tend to focus on a certain type of cycling (road, mountain, racing, etc.).

Also since there is a community college nearby you should check the papers, bulletin boards and Craigslist for used bikes as you can often save quite a bit off a new bike price. But, make sure you know what type of bike and what size you need first.

I've also written an article about bicycle commuting here: http://econewmexico.com/bicycle-transportation that should fill in a bit more info.

Good Luck on the new job too,
Tim
Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Speedster - '69 Schwinn Speedster
TheDon,

Re: Finding a good cycling route - yeah that looks tough with where you live. I would definitely talk to your local bike shops for ideas. There may be official or unofficial trails that could get you closer to where you need to go.

If you're renting you could start looking for a more cycling friendly location. Some towns and neighborhoods are just bad for cycling and the only way to improve things is to move.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I live at home and will not be changing that until I transfer to UCF in 1.5 years. I need to stop by the bike shop and spend some time there. Then I need to go explore the land next to the highway and see if I can possibly blaze a trail. But riding it at night would be scary...

It's either, get run over by a truck

or

fall in a sink hole on my trail...

decisions decisions....
Old 06-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Dude, you live right next door to my MIL on Citrus Ridge! We'll have to look you up the next time we visit in December. You're pretty brave to ride a bike on 27.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
The commute looks a little rough. How are the shoulders? 8', 3', non-existent?

I think the odds of getting caught in a rain storm are high for you. Make sure you have a emergency raincoat.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
Dude, you live right next door to my MIL on Citrus Ridge! We'll have to look you up the next time we visit in December. You're pretty brave to ride a bike on 27.
Let me know.. I'll be around.. 27 can't be that dangerous.. I see a few people communizing by bike on it to some of the local businesses, plus a few runners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo View Post
The commute looks a little rough. How are the shoulders? 8', 3', non-existent?

I think the odds of getting caught in a rain storm are high for you. Make sure you have a emergency raincoat.
The should from my house is 5'.. but most of the way are these turn lanes into business and crap that are a full lane.

I looked at the land next to the highway for my custom trail.. no go... its mostly marshland.. I'd need a pedal power air boat

Reply  Post New Thread