Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #71 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Ah okay. I more or less just wondered because none of them require a license or insurance. Gotta be the fastest guy in the DWI drags, ya know? lol
Registration and insurance requirements a set by states. It was not that long ago that some states didn't even require insurance for cars and the legal minimum required insurance in many states today isn't enough to cover much more than a fender bender.

Arkansas requires anyone riding a motorized bicycle to have a license or certificate. The motorized bicycle certificate is only available for people 14-16 years of age. So if someone loses their license for DUI they cannot legally ride a motorized bicycle in the state of Arkansas

"Anyone who operates a motor vehicle, motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle on public highways in Arkansas is required to have a license or certificate."

Arkansas Licensing: https://static.ark.org/eeuploads/asp...anual_2017.pdf

Arkansas motorized bicycle law is here: https://law.justia.com/codes/arkansa.../subchapter-1/

Quote:
How are the laws in NY? I've heard you guys are extremely anti e-vehicle(2wheel)
They use the federal standards. A motorized bicycle that goes less than 20 mph is classified as a bicycle and is allowed. Anything that goes over 20 mph is a motor vehicle and requires a VIN, registration, and insurance.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #72 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Don't know if it's still true, but Washington state didn't/doesn't require motorcycles to carry liability insurance. Just license/register and ride.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Eh theres a lot of mistakes with some of our stuff (moped is a scooter is a motorized bicycle as long as it doesn't have gears and is 49cc or less. Also does require license, but not registration, or insurance) but it doesn't really relate to the electric unicycle or any other state for the most part.

With that said....

This would be fun. Just need to either make the platform in line with the x-axis of the wheel hub to get rid of the tipping moment, or just go ahead and make it below the axis so its easier to hop on.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The latest e-bike law S 5294 passed both the Assembly and Senate but was vetoed by the Governor. This odd since this was a bill drafted and passed by Democrats from downstate. There have been several attempts to update the laws but most died in committee. There are three classes of scooter here based on speed. While one may obtain a VIN for a custom motorcycle, scooters and mopeds must be purchased from approved manufacturers. The only way to know if a product is approved is to call the Tech center in Albany. The good news is the people at the Tech center are very helpful.

I have submitted comments and recommendations to the last two bills. There is a disconnect between the laws on the books and actual practice because the laws are outdated or just ridiculous these days. For example bikes must have a brake that locks one wheel. One can be arrested on the spot for operating an unregistered motorized bicycle on the public roads but this is not enforced. General consensus by law enforcement is that 20 mph is safe enough. I have seen a marked increase in gas powered 'outlaw' bikes. One can buy a e-bike or electric motor kit at a bike shop. Electric e-Lime bikes are available for rental. Technology doesn't care what authoritarian micro mangers think.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
The latest e-bike law S 5294 passed both the Assembly and Senate but was vetoed by the Governor. This odd since this was a bill drafted and passed by Democrats from downstate. There have been several attempts to update the laws but most died in committee. There are three classes of scooter here based on speed. While one may obtain a VIN for a custom motorcycle, scooters and mopeds must be purchased from approved manufacturers. The only way to know if a product is approved is to call the Tech center in Albany. The good news is the people at the Tech center are very helpful.

I have submitted comments and recommendations to the last two bills. There is a disconnect between the laws on the books and actual practice because the laws are outdated or just ridiculous these days. For example bikes must have a brake that locks one wheel. One can be arrested on the spot for operating an unregistered motorized bicycle on the public roads but this is not enforced. General consensus by law enforcement is that 20 mph is safe enough. I have seen a marked increase in gas powered 'outlaw' bikes. One can buy a e-bike or electric motor kit at a bike shop. Electric e-Lime bikes are available for rental. Technology doesn't care what authoritarian micro mangers think.
Thats why I asked. Louis Rossmann on Youtube posted about riding his e-bike in NYC and stated the police would arrest and confiscate on the spot. Sounds like a police state if you ask me.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #76 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

We already know that mob consensus trumps law.

When bored mobs assemble in Portland without permits and close down freeways, how many of them are arrested for closing down the freeways?

Just be angry and assemble a handful or more people and the laws go straight out the window.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
We already know that mob consensus trumps law.

When bored mobs assemble in Portland without permits and close down freeways, how many of them are arrested for closing down the freeways?
I like the [counter-]example of Richmond last Monday better.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #78 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I'm out of the news loop. An assembly of people well behaved?

Old 01-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I'm out of the news loop. An assembly of people well behaved?
No judgement, but yes.

TLDR; at Charlottesville the free speech cage was ringed by Antifa and some people did some things. At Richmond the free speech cage was surrounded by 10x 2A supporters with open carry and Antifa never showed. But the [antiMuslim] Black Panthers did!

An armed society is a polite society. I doubt the free speech caging thing will be tried a third time.

https://nopageleftblank.files.wordpr...now_banner.jpg

Old 01-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #80 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Thats why I asked. Louis Rossmann on Youtube posted about riding his e-bike in NYC and stated the police would arrest and confiscate on the spot. Sounds like a police state if you ask me.
Was Louis riding an electric bicycle or an electric motorcycle? (An electric bicycle as defined by the NY law: Less than 20 mph, 1 hp or less, no throttle)

If he was riding an electric motorcycle then arrest and confiscation of the vehicle is the normal police action. When the police stop a personal riding a gas powered motorcycle and that person does not have a license, the motorcycle is not registered, and the motorcycle is not insured that person can be arrested and the vehicle impounded. It happens all the time at checkpoints.

This comes down to people not following the law and then complain when they get caught.

Reply  Post New Thread