Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highhung723 View Post
My concerns are:

-how do people deal with honkers, traffic, people wanting to pass you, fast accelerators?
Just ignore them.

Quote:
My route has a parkway that is 50 MPH, but most people go at least 10 over. I try to go 50 on the right lane, but sometimes traffic makes me want to speed too. How do people get over that urge?
I'd say that the first rule for hypermiling should be: Pay attention. Essentially, if you make a conscious decision to limit your speed, staying at 50 mph shouldn't be a problem. If you're fighting a desire to go faster, then you're going to have to make a decision.

Quote:
When at red lights, I try to accelerate smoothly and slowly. Is there an RPM that I should be aiming for to optimize MPG and acceleration? I try going about 1500 but that is too slow for traffic behind me. I was wondering if there was a more efficient range.
Everything I've read suggests that the optimal acceleration would be at a heavier load (80% or so), so you should actually be looking to accelerate smoothly and rapidly. Others here are probably more qualified to advise on the best technique for your particular vehicle.

Quote:
-I'm afraid of turning off my engine during coasts, so right now I'm only going to neutral. I'd like to coast for as long as possible, but people just end up tailgaiting, changing lanes, and then passing me to get one spot ahead at a stoplight. Sometimes this will throw off my estimate and I will have to brake sooner because there are more cars in front. Does this happen to anyone else?
I think this is just something that you're going to need to develop a feel for. Personally, for my coasting, I use similar rules as with the pulse and glide. In essence, I go in with a set speed (usually +/-5 mph of speed limit), so I will go back in gear and accelerate if necessary. I think a lot of people consider their own safety when hypermiling, but I think it is important to consider the safety of others as well. If my speed drops to a point that it compels someone else to do something stupid, I would still feel responsible for the results.

In my personal experience, coasting to a stop or in traffic has never lead to any problems from rowdy neighbors on the road. Even here in Los Angeles (with some very aggressive drivers), people seem to understand when there is no longer a need to continue accelerating or maintaining the speed limit.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmarcus View Post
Following in the wake of someone else @ 60 mph will be more efficient than driving 50 mph alone. I think...
Not even close.
50mph - even alone - will beat 60 hands down.

Drafting a regular car is silly, as there's no fuel efficiency benefit until you are literally right upon their rear bumper.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
As far as the comfort level goes - it just takes some time. I used to be one of those "gotta go faster" types, and when I decided to make the effort to hypermile... it was tough. It was really uncomfortable driving only 10mph over the limit, not to mention *gasp* driving at the speed limit on the expressway. But after doing this for a few months, I actually found myself more comfortable driving at the speed limit. It is pretty strange, actually. I've been a knucklehead speed demon my whole life (thanks dad!) but since stumbling onto this site, I started changing my evil ways and watched my gas expense (and stress level) go down, yet somehow I still get to work on time. Now I can completely ignore (ok, almost completely) the knucklehead speed demons in the rear view who are pissed I'm not doing 80. Eh, F 'em, I say.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
Put on some Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffet or other mellow music. When they flip you off, smile your biggest smile and give an exaggerated wave.

Another thing is to scout out better routes. I use Google driving directions and select the option to avoid freeways.

Kirk
Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
When they flip you off, smile your biggest smile and give an exaggerated wave
Remember Kids, CRAZY beats STUPID, every time.

And I've adopted a 50mph max on the highway(65 psl) unless going a certain speed higher will get me a longer coast.

Our race is NOT who gets there first, but who uses less fuel. I still have urges to drive fast, probably always will. I got my first speeding ticket two weeks after getting my license. Pretty constant throughout my driving career until a couple years ago.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
I refuse to go less than the posted speed on freeways/highways. In my experience, doing so creates more of a danger that it is worth. If I'm on less populated roads with less aggressive drivers, that's one thing, but Southern California freeways are not the place to do so. In my opinion, I'd only consider going significantly less than the posted speed if you feel that the conditions are safe.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Not a lot of traffic around here. No one has ever been "stuck" behind me for more than a few seconds on the highway. On secondary roads, I pull over to let people by as soon as it's safe for all.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
I refuse to go less than the posted speed on freeways/highways. In my experience, doing so creates more of a danger that it is worth. If I'm on less populated roads with less aggressive drivers, that's one thing, but Southern California freeways are not the place to do so. In my opinion, I'd only consider going significantly less than the posted speed if you feel that the conditions are safe.
You would have to prove this. The "posted limit" is the upper limit, not the minimum. I drove speed-regulated big trucks and never found it a problem. There is a reason your vehicle has rearview mirrors . . what you have stated, essentially, is that you have not a clue as to how to use them. If you are driving 47-mph on a road with posted upper and lower limits of 70-mph and 45-mph you are acting within the law. Those overtaking you have upon them the burden to pass with care, and only at the appropriate times/places. The speeders are fully outside the law. Faster traffic never has the right-of-way in any lane, at any time.

Look at this another way. In a country where now 64% of Americans don't have the money at hand to cover a $1000 emergency, do you think that all vehicles on the roadway are safely maintained? I don't, and never did. When I see a slow mover ahead it is my obligation as a fellow citizen to respect any difficulties he may be under, thus treating his movement -- maybe his entire household/possessions are underway -- with the regard I would hope to have.

Learn to use the rearview mirrors, and -- as Diesel Dave in his first post above indicates -- develop observation/action skills you currently do not possess. To extend his words, it matters not whether you are solo and commuting or with an overloaded U-Haul behind a tail-dragging decrepit Honda Accord doing your best to move to place with more opportunity than what is behind. There is a pace and a rhythm that can be developed, especially on a commute. Dead easy to do.

Rear view mirrors are future predictors. One learns to "manage" traffic: how it moves around one, how to "encourage" the packs of cretins to stay away, and to learn to avoid the TV-watching, Facebook-obsessed, never-an-original-thought-to-be-encountered "drivers". You'll note that they'll mainly cut back over in front of you to cut off your braking distance. Over time you'll learn to use their unconcious actions against them, but to the benefit of both of you. Their predictability is reassuring.

A reason we truck drivers learned long ago to utilize such tricks as aiming the right hand headlight high is the cretins, to try and n keep them from cutting over or staying too close ahead. Or, a switch that operates the left beam on low, and the right on high at the same time (being able to revert to normal function). And we (and you) always operate with headlights on. And keep the glass spotless. Daily. Sometimes multiple cleanings daily. Inside and out, smoker or not.

You are not alone, the law supports your decisions, and you lack only an appreciation of tools never used. Get the cretin pack around you and you'll glide up on them at stoplights. On the big road, you'll learn to see them as an overtaking wave -- like a big sidewind -- that'll pass around you as you develop skill.

Rule One: Never move to the right side of your lane (with the exception of big trucks, and then, not much). If "they" see a squeeze ahead, they'll respect it. If you move over in your lane, they won't . . and the lack of attention to your situation never develops. This is a critical item. Thus, it is managing, to some extent, the OODA loop. Stay ahead of them, mentally, and your pace and rhythm will develop in accordance.

Good luck.

Last edited by slowmover; 11-20-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Old 11-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
I would like to add that with an automatic you should NOT be EOC'ing unless you're absolutely sure this will not harm the transmission. Many autos will not circulate lubricants when the engine is off the tranny will not be properly lubricated, increasing wear and possibly severely damaging your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover
You would have to prove this. The "posted limit" is the upper limit, not the minimum. I drove speed-regulated big trucks and never found it a problem. There is a reason your vehicle has rearview mirrors . . what you have stated, essentially, is that you have not a clue as to how to use them. If you are driving 47-mph on a road with posted upper and lower limits of 70-mph and 45-mph you are acting within the law. Those overtaking you have upon them the burden to pass with care, and only at the appropriate times/places. The speeders are fully outside the law. Faster traffic never has the right-of-way in any lane, at any time.
He's not saying it's illegal; he's saying it's unsafe. SoCal freeways are scary places and not somewhere you want to be doing the minimum speed.

Last edited by Sven7; 11-20-2011 at 03:51 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
johnunit (02-09-2012), Ladogaboy (11-21-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Yeah, there is a difference between what's legal and what's smart. If you're going slow and somebody runs into you, it may be the other guys fault, but that doesn't change the fact that you got hit.

That being said, I'm in no way suggesting that you HAVE to drive the speed limit. I regulally dip down under 30 mph in 60 mph speed limit zones (during P&G). What I (and you) always have to be watching for is that idiot whose cruising along at 10 mph over the speed limit and not paying attention to traffic. In my case I have the advantage of driving a large white object, that's easier for people to see. I've had one or two "close calls"--where somebody obviously didn't see me until the last minute and had to swerve to miss me. In both cases, it was where there were 2 cars, both going too fast. The first guy was fine and passed me no problem, but it was the 2nd guy who was the idiot and wasn't paying attention.

Here's a few things I've learned: First, keep a close watch on your rearview mirror. You can tell if somebody is closing on you rapidly and not moving over to the passing lane. If that happens I either do a fake right turn signal (the blinking light gets their attention), or I just go ahead and do a pulse to get my speed up. Second, if there's more than one car coming up behind you then it's okay to go slower than the speed limit (10-15 mph under), but don't do any of the really slow driving--you're just asking for trouble if you do.

Another thing to remember is that techniques may need to change depending on the type of road. I drive a lot on 4 way divided highway, but it's not limited access (there are red lights and intersections) so people tend to pay more attention that out on the interestate where people are used to being able to run 10 mph over with the cruise control set and turn into zombies, not paying attention to what's going on around them.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
Ladogaboy (11-21-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread