Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Are you Visable?

I have read many posts here about people on the open freeway cruising,and minding their own business at 50-55mph. then Suddenly having inattentive speeders way above any speed limit creating dangerous near crash situations. When I go out of town on a trip, I take a VERY thin Flagger's mesh vest, and hang only the mid length sleeves out below my hatchback. It is that very visable green w orange stripes and silver reflectorized stripes. Since only the sleeves are hanging out; it doesn't strain the weather gasket,and won't leak rain in. It's the same vest I wear always on my motorcycles. Just make sure its not covering any of your rear lights. It should fit most any veh.; even just below a closed tailgate on a PU. In the past; I have made a homemade white reflector arrow pointing to the left mounted on the rear window of the PU canopy/cap...whatever you like to call it. I don't do wholesale white and red reflects because too much portrays a weak, fearful image! Be crafty; subtle! I do like those last mentioned colors on the rear license plate frame. In conclusion, I like rear red foglights as per late OLDs Aurora, on many, many Jag sedans, and on some newer Audi's. These are all 2 light apps. usually placed below the regular taillights. I ordered a HELLA unit from Europe that took several months to arrive. I prefer a single light on the right rear mostly aimed toward the fogline. It has special mirrors inside that amp the light, and the bulbs are average and cheap! I have no wish to blind anyone. I used it in the daytime as a rear guard w/o having to use parking lights or anything. At night, I would only use it on open multi-lane roads where MUCH FASTER traffic is always flying up. I don't generally use at all on 2 lanes or when freeway traffic behind you is close to your speed. I'm sure it would be easy to cobble up some mount under the bumper 2 filament (brakelight level) bright setup for cheap w a toogle switch! If THE MAN (in this case probably having not seen many lights like this) hassles you; be sure to mention the cars above being stock, and you are simply upgrading for safety!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
If someone is blabbing away on a cell or tending to whatever while behind the wheel there ain't much I can do about it except be situationally aware and ready to dive outta the way or blast 'em with horn, depending on.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
larrybuck -

Have you installed one of those "flashing" stop lights? That's one of my never-completed projects. I try to enterntain my "followers" :

At night the words and numbers reflect.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Over here it's illegal to add extra lights or white reflective material to the rear of a car - then the EU goes and mandates white or yellow contour markings on trucks ...

Old 05-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Flashing lights and any while light on the back of the car is illegal in the US some states they can even pull you over if your license plate light hangs to low reflecting light backwards.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Phantom -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Flashing lights and any while light on the back of the car is illegal in the US some states they can even pull you over if your license plate light hangs to low reflecting light backwards.
Good point. Mercedes has gotten a waiver to have flashing third brake lights as an experiment, and I have seen flashing third brake lights on Corvettes. The mechanism will flash for five seconds and then just stay red. I have also seen motorcycles with flashing brake lights.

Sooooooo, check your state regs.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...it's simple: RULES are the 'rules,' until they're 'changed,' and then they become the 'new' RULES!

...in my best Charlie Brown agonized voice: "Arrrrgh!"
Old 05-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've been reading up on many western states vehicle codes, and many say it's ok to have an amber brakelight! If you remember, many Oldmobiles in the early '80's during their diesel fiasco; would do the above. I don't know if on purpose, or a screw up!

Reply  Post New Thread