Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydag View Post
I like the top MPG rankings on the website. But that is obviously skewed toward super efficient vehicles.
I think it is more specific than "vehicles" too, my vehicle isn't on the list. But then do you put the e-bike and toy scooter on the list too, or bike that was filled up once 4 months ago? I dunno.

Last edited by dcb; 05-07-2008 at 11:33 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
I think there should be a top ten for least amount of fuel used.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Why?
Are you capable of riding a bicycle 54 miles ONE way to work and then back again?

Even if I were an olympic grade athlete and could afford the $3,000 bike I do not think I could manage that on a daily basis. Your talking 110 miles DAILY and across one bridge where bikes are not allowed.

I am 6'4" over 300 pounds. Eve if I lose all my excess mass (working on it) I would not be capable of such a commute. Maybe once as a "I did it" kind of thing.

I did the math. it would take me roughly 3 hours to complete this journey and thats ONLY if I managed a sustained 20mph the entire 3 hours (I can not sustain 20mph for ten minutes not to speak of 3 hours) My max average is around 15-16mph on level terrain so now its a 4 hour NON stop commute each way and I have never tried to maintain such speeds for over 1 hour !!

so now I am looking at 8 hours travelling ad 12 hours work shift. there are only 4 hours left in the day. Not even enough to sleep not to speak of shower eating etc..

I followed along the MS150 I was in the ambulance running ham radio communications as a volunteer. the "GOOD" ones ie the ones trained and capable took over 5 hours to complete the route. (75 miles)

I have NO reasonable chance. When I had a second job at Radio shack locally it was a 50 minute bike ride. I DID do that whenever the weather was cooperative. Felt good too!

Even if I COULD manage the 4+ hours (probably closer to 5 hours in reality) I could not remain healthy and on my feet under those condition nor function properly at work under those condition for more than one or two days. Imagine 5 hours ride to work 12 hour shift and now its 0500 in the morning and its time for your 5 hours ride home? OH and in 3 hours you have to wake up again to do it all again!! I don't think so.

It just would not work. Thats why :-)
Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
Going to work would not work but it might be neat for getting around locally!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Why?
For the last 2 days I rode my bike to work. 7 miles each way. I'm proud I'm doing it, but it has some disadvantages.

I takes me just a bit under 30 minutes because of stops and lights, vs 10-15 minutes with my car as I take a longer route but with less traffic and stops.

When I get to work I need to take a shower and change. I wouldn't do it if there wasn't a shower at my workplace.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
Are you capable of riding a bicycle 54 miles ONE way to work and then back again?

Even if I were an olympic grade athlete and could afford the $3,000 bike I do not think I could manage that on a daily basis. Your talking 110 miles DAILY and across one bridge where bikes are not allowed.

I am 6'4" over 300 pounds. Eve if I lose all my excess mass (working on it) I would not be capable of such a commute. Maybe once as a "I did it" kind of thing.

I did the math. it would take me roughly 3 hours to complete this journey and thats ONLY if I managed a sustained 20mph the entire 3 hours (I can not sustain 20mph for ten minutes not to speak of 3 hours) My max average is around 15-16mph on level terrain so now its a 4 hour NON stop commute each way and I have never tried to maintain such speeds for over 1 hour !!

so now I am looking at 8 hours travelling ad 12 hours work shift. there are only 4 hours left in the day. Not even enough to sleep not to speak of shower eating etc..

I followed along the MS150 I was in the ambulance running ham radio communications as a volunteer. the "GOOD" ones ie the ones trained and capable took over 5 hours to complete the route. (75 miles)

I have NO reasonable chance. When I had a second job at Radio shack locally it was a 50 minute bike ride. I DID do that whenever the weather was cooperative. Felt good too!

Even if I COULD manage the 4+ hours (probably closer to 5 hours in reality) I could not remain healthy and on my feet under those condition nor function properly at work under those condition for more than one or two days. Imagine 5 hours ride to work 12 hour shift and now its 0500 in the morning and its time for your 5 hours ride home? OH and in 3 hours you have to wake up again to do it all again!! I don't think so.

It just would not work. Thats why :-)
OK

Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
It would be easier to ride a distance like that with a group of people you like or at least tolerate... I've ridden 3 century rides and only one was even close to a 4 hour ride (like 4:10 or so), the rest were closer to 4:40 or so and I didn't hook up with a group. It does depend on you fitness level.

I'm 6'3" and almost 300# myself now, but even at my best cycling shape I was still 205-215... I can't "spin" for long, damn long legs, so I have to gear and grunt it all out. One of my MTBs I had a 52t chainring for the big ring. It did make a difference. Sometimes in training I pulled my trailer with 50# of weight in it up to 30 MPH in sprints behind my roady. I might not have been able to spin, but I could sprint for a bit. And climb hills.

Now, I'm just happy to get up the hill at all. First ride with the club this weekend (my 4x4 club that is, getting a few other fat butts like me out on the bikes...).
Old 05-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Damn! #50 PLUS trailer to 30mph! wow :-)

Reply  Post New Thread