Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2017, 07:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
NHB
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I don't know about warming up the head first.
Maybe they figure the engine won't last long enough to spit out the head gasket.
Strategic areas of the head will warm up faster than the block in any case. Hot exhaust gases heat up the exhaust side of the head much faster than block can warm up. These multi-circuit cooling systems allow block heat up faster, since it is possible to cool only the head and let the block to warm up during engine warm up phase. A simple one-circuit system keeps a block cold longer, since it starts to cool the block as soon as the head needs cooling.

I believe that there is a eight-figure number of multi-circuit cooled engines running out there. I haven't heard any problems caused by this cooling strategy. This is enough for me.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
NHB
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I was reading up on Toyota engines the other day and came across this gem of a page that outlines all the new technology that they put in the the NR engine series. I believe the only example we have here in the US is the 1NR-FE. It is a 1.33L 4 cylinder engine that was used in the Scion iQ as well as many vehicles overseas. More importantly and just interestingly is the technology they put into it.
Maybe it's new for Toyota, but those features are widely used already.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHB View Post
Maybe it's new for Toyota, but those features are widely used already.
Well, it was a new engine in 2008, and it is Toyota's most current small 4 cylinder engine line as far as I know. But we haven't talked about a bunch of these features here. At least not to my knowledge. I just like to post this stuff to get creative juices flowing for new ecomods. You never know what people will come up with once they get an idea in their head. Thanks for the links on the VW and Ford engines.

One day I'd absolutely love to read about how someone was reading on EcoModder, came up with an idea, patented it, and sold the idea to an automaker and it improved their entire fleet's fuel economy by X%.
ThermionicScott (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
NHB
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
EA211 has an aluminum block, though, and oil pan 4 was talking about mixed material engines using these strategies being a bad idea. Valid for EA888 Gen 3, though, that is a mixed material engine. (Also, by US standards, EA888 Gen 2.5 (we don't get the true Gen 3, IIRC) has been considered unreliable (then again, basically every recent VW engine other than the EA113 2.0 8v is unreliable by US standards), although not for that reason.)
Ford 1.0 ecoboost has an iron block and seems to be an perfectly reliable engine. What kind of problems there are with EA888 Gen 2.5? At least here in Europe VW's recent offerings seem to work just fine.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius - '16 Toyota Prius Three
Water pumps are, AFAIK, the biggest problem (which has always been an EA888 problem). They had a run of bad camshafts in 2015, and they were snapping camshafts left and right, too.

Reply  Post New Thread