Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

tundra nose jobs

First off obviously the plastic chin undertray piece needs to be patched on the left, the chrome fender flare trim is missing from the front wheel wells, the hi-cap is being replace with a shorter utility cap, the front tire does need some air and the headlights need polishing and everything washed. Im planning on a full undertray, lowering the truck and covering the wheel wells or at least the back ones.

My ideas for the grille block was to cut out the black plastic bars from the upper grille leaving the chromed pieces. Putting in a set of vertical louvers in the upper half of the upper grill and another set of vertical louvers in the lower half of the upper grille. Put a horizontal louver in the lower grille. The louvers would be inset slightly into the grille when blocked but i dont things thats a problem for the air.

Its not so noticeable in the pic but the top of the bumper is pretty flat, there's a very slight slope but its like a 2" shelf on top, most vehicles have much more of angle there. Im going to seal the gap above the bumper, wonder if i should bother radius or angle the top up?

The top of the bumper is just sightly more forward than the bottom so it has a slight donward angle but is relatively blunt. Pic exaggerates the angle a bit. I dont know where the stagnation point is but if tried lowering it by putting an airdam below the bumper with and upward angle i't would make a slightly convex blunt place where they meet. Not sure if its possible or beneficial to re-angle the bumper.

I know some people have covered and redid the nose entirely but unless theres a serious aero benifit i'd rather work with whats there.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiling rookie

Opel Corsa B - '96 Opel Corsa 1.2 8V
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)

VW Bora 1.6 16V - '02 Volkswagen Bora/Jetta
90 day: 35.84 mpg (US)
what kind of mileage do you get at the moment ? :cringe:

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Epa is 15/18. He doesn't have a mpg meter yet but with some more carefull driving he recently got a tank average of 19mpg E10 on a majority interstate driving, however his O2 sensor was bad so i don't know how efficient the engine was running.

Last edited by miket; 07-02-2010 at 08:54 AM..
Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
nose

miket,
If you'll go to 'FLOW-IMAGES' Photo-Gallery 1,top row,center image,you'll see Kamm's car.
The K-Car nose is not unlike the Tundra and I believe Toyota has provided plenty enough radius to get the air over the bumper top without separation.
If you plan to do extreme mods you might check out any new crossover SUV.These noses are way beyond what some race cars of old possessed,and would serve as a fair model to copy.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
miket (07-02-2010)
Reply  Post New Thread