Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Turn the sun off!!!

Hawaiian power company, HECO, simply can't make money from those darn solar panels and smart meters, so we'll shut down the program! And by the way if you install one of your own, you can't sell power back and you're OFF our grid!

Private PV market, we have seen the future.

A Solar Boom So Successful, It's Been Halted: Scientific American

Last edited by botsapper; 12-23-2013 at 12:45 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Wow, that one has enough interesting points to fill a book.

I've been considering an investment in solar panels, basing my cost rationale at least partly on the expectation that electricity costs will continue to climb. If the utility can change the rules this radically, my whole cost/benefit calculation goes out the window.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
That's strange. 4.6% is way below the share of solar enery in Germany. It works there, what is Hawaii doing wrong?
Maybe it is causing a problem because they want to keep running their oil generators at some minimum rate?

Apart from that, the wisdom of taking a loan for a seriously oversized PV installation when the monthly payment is higher than the energy bill without it defies me. Unlike they really gone ecomental.

I want PV panels too, but I expect some improvements and lower cost in the coming years, don't want to throw money yet.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
That's strange. 4.6% is way below the share of solar enery in Germany. It works there, what is Hawaii doing wrong?
German power is federal, Hawaii's is commercial, ie: "...GREED IS GOOD, charity is NOT."
Old 12-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
I'm sure that all of the other corporation-bashing electrical engineers in this thread will be more than willing to go fly over to Oahu to tell HECO how they can connect residential power generation equipment onto a grid that the article mentioned was not ready to accept residential power generation. After all, it must be simple to do! Just connect up two wires, and you're good to go! Don't have to bother with A/C phase matching, or load balancing, or overvoltaging the supply transformers, right?

Oh, that's right! Them ******* HECO corporate types should have just jacked up the rates on their customers to invest in residential power generation capability, back when their grid was first being built. Why didn't I think of that? After all, it would have made perfect sense to jack up electricity rates and make residents pay even more for electricity, to support being able to have residents pump power back into the grid, when said residents would have already have had to pay out the nose just to have said expensive power generation equipment shipped out thousands of miles by ocean, let alone installed. I mean, that's what people do all the time, right? I sure can't wait for my $20K PV cell installation to arrive, just so I can save $40 / month on my electric bill!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
The "grid" across all of USA is HUGE, the "grid" across that one, single, Hawaiian island is "miniscule"...sounds to me like HECO just wants to 'protect' it's income.

True, there can be problems with stupid customers doing stupid things, but MOST power companies (our local Tucson Electric Company, for example) will not allow ANY person or installer to simply "...connect & dump..." power onto the grid without THEIR inspection/test/checkoff. Simple philosophy: No connection until system is PROVEN safe/OK for addition onto the grid.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
The "grid" across all of USA is HUGE, the "grid" across that one, single, Hawaiian island is "miniscule"...sounds to me like HECO just wants to 'protect' it's income.
A smaller grid is less resilient than a larger one, especially one that was designed decades prior to the invention of relatively cheap residential power generation that is capable of supplying a grid. Factor in the "out-in-the-middle-of-the-ocean-which-makes-everything-cost-more-because-it-has-to-be-shipped-in" factor, and I can see that HECO also wants to do the right thing by all of its customers, not just the small minority that wants PV and utility electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
True, there can be problems with stupid customers doing stupid things, but MOST power companies (our local Tucson Electric Company, for example) will not allow ANY person or installer to simply "...connect & dump..." power onto the grid without THEIR inspection/test/checkoff. Simple philosophy: No connection until system is PROVEN safe/OK for addition onto the grid.
It's a sensible philosophy.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
These companies knew this day was coming should have been better prepared. In some areas the electric company job may be to supply nighttime and high demand usage only. They should look at this as someone else making a capital investment in equipment they won't need to maintain but can still make a profit from.
I do think that the Hodgepodge of private installations will be a challenge. But as they surely tell their workers change or become obsolete.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
$36,000 and still not off the grid? I think we have found the couple that grow the legendary maui wowie.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
The Following User Says Thank You to jakobnev For This Useful Post:
t vago (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

35 grand for 18 panels?!?!?!?!?

The Following User Says Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (12-22-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread