Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Re: Pay to fix it -

Blasphemy in my family. Will not happen. You'll either fix it yourself, or you'll find a friend/family member that can teach you how. We always have spare vehicles for the "mean time" while figuring out something new.

I've got not a single problem with my Son driving a junker or a Ferrari Enzo. As long as he paid for most/all of it, you won't hear a word from me. Before he ever gets a permit, he will learn to drive on a track at speed, learn to diagnose/repair using his brain, rather than going on memory from someone else's experience, and be able to operate in low-traction situations. (I have access to the means necessary to teach all of these things, although most "life lessons" articulate some form of these lessons as well.)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I worked with a mechanic for a few months when I first got into working on cars. He was real big on just that, using your brain to diagnose what is wrong with a car instead of blindly replacing parts. There have been times I thought a certain part was to blame, so i bought a new one, went through the trouble of getting the old part off, only to find out it was in good condition. What did I do? I put the old part back and went back to square one. It would have been just as easy to replace it with the new part, but why? Besides, replacing mutliple parts changes the equation of the problem and confuses the issue at hand.

Anyone who doesn't know how to check and add oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, and transmission oil shouldn't be driving. I've already had my oldest 8 year old learning a little bit about cars, and even have let her steer the car as we go down our dirt road. First time she steered it was in my front yard with the Explorer. Man I love living in the country. If I had a go cart I could make a decent mini track in the front yard.

Boy did we go off topic. Sory, mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

klr 650 - '08 kawasaki klr 650

The van - '15 Dodge Grand caravan Avp
lol started this a few days ago never thought i would get this kind of response
Old 05-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I have to admit we've meandered a bit off topic, but I'm having a blast talking about stuff with like minded individuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Reply  Post New Thread