Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
This may be new

If you've been running around all day doing household chores incl. laundry and failed to defrost something for supper, don't despair!

Take your frozen whatever and set it on the dryer as it's going- it's nice-n-toasty up there. Then after pulling the clothes out set it in the dryer. Don't turn it on again tho'.

Beats nuking it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Frank -

Ha ha, laundry and dinner time meet. You could over-engineer it and build an oven heat exchanger for the exhaust outlet.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Frank -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Whitehair
Unexpected Science Experiment? by K. Whitehair

Thanks to an unintended science experiment, I recently discovered that popcorn will pop in a clothes dryer. After learning this amazing fact, I was curious to see if I could have confirmed this phenomenon without conducting the experiment at home.

First I tried Ask.com (formerly Ask Jeeves). No luck.The results pages did mention popcorn and dryers, but not popcorn popping in the dryer. MyChattyFeet’s Myspace blog looked promising in the results list. However, I couldn’t view it because MyChattyFeet didn’t want random people (me) reading the blog and set it to private. Most results were trying to sell me popcorn and were totally unrelated to my quest. With no answer, I continued my search. Next I tried Google.com. After refining my search multiple times I determined that Google failed me. Sure there were pages where the words popcorn and dryer appeared, but the sites weren’t talking about popping popcorn in the dryer. And I had to wade through too many pages trying to sell popcorn and popcorn poppers. Then I turned to the search engine Scirus: For Scientific Information Only (Scirus.com). I tried numerous search terms, trying to find out if others had noted the phenomenon of popcorn popping in the dryer. Still no answer to my question. However, no results were trying to sell me popcorn. There was actually information about popcorn, although not about popping popcorn in clothes dryers. [Note: At this point in my search I had learned that some electric roasters are considered a hybrid of a clothes dryer and popcorn popper. Useless and totally irrelevant to my quest.]

Frustrated, I turned to LexisNexis, the subscription database notable for covering major news outlets. I didn’t find my answer there either, nor any advertisements luring me into buying popcorn. I did find a guide to popping popcorn from December of 2006 in the Sacramento Bee that I will soon be putting to good use. So I haven’t found my answer yet, but will continue my search. Was what happened in my clothes dryer an anomaly? Or is it a documented scientific fact? I have no answer. But what I did learn is that it can be hard to find actual research about some topics in general search engines like Ask.com and Google.com. This is because they are loaded with commercial pages. However, databases and specialized search engines at least take you straight to technical research and related information.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Thought of it as that's what happened to me today; was doing laundry when it occurred to me I had to have spaghetti and meatballs, except the meatballs were in the freezer. Ran to the freezer, put the desired quantity of meatballs on a plate, and set it on the dryer until the load was done. Pulled the load, set the plate in the dryer, folded laundry, got the pasta going, and voila! thawed meatballs.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Because otherwise, the heat from the dryer is wasted.. I like the idea of using the dryer vent to pre-heat the oven, though. That's a good one.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Do driers have a heat exchanger? I'd think warming intake air with the exhaust would greatly increase its efficiency.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
dremd (11-28-2009)
Old 10-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Do driers have a heat exchanger? I'd think warming intake air with the exhaust would greatly increase its efficiency.
the drier needs clean air in, like a car engine, reaction 4 action. static kaboom...and if you think its safe, wait out a few thunderstorms and find out.
The place I am in now has a shared dryer like a laundromat. It gets hit by lightning. I know damn well its the dryer. I can almost understand a hitlerian insanity separating genetics into categories never to mingle again. It is grotesque.
after it helped melt my sube in the first year unrestored, a few gallons of paint later and the dryer vent goes by, leaving the innocent pile of STEEL alone....
I was just thinking frozen meat and dryer here together. holy good god, I wonder what it would end up...sealed or not...
If my own place, dryer all mine, clean air assured. I would do the defrost thing. clever. it is even nice and slow avoiding microwaves localization.
The Following User Says Thank You to bgd73 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (10-20-2009)
Old 11-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I think that the Heat **Exchanger** bit should be noted.
Someone on this forum (Daox?) was building a dryer vent heat exchanger for house heat. How about if we turned it around and fed the waste HEAT (Not Waste Gasses) in to the intake of the dryer? Not sure how much heat could be recovered, but any is better than none. AND What if you had 2 vents outdoors? One air Intake, and 1 air exhaust? That way you wouldn't get cold air infiltration in to your home making up for the waste gasses going out.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 11-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There are dryers out there that use heat pumps to recover heat.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 11-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
There are dryers out there that use heat pumps to recover heat.
Not Doubting you, just had no Idea and am still not sure about availability/ cost.

Clothes dryer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (heat pump Dryers)

Also see Dehumidification dryers.

I actually have a friend of a friend in the industrial washer/ dryer industry (engineer) I should ask him next time we cross paths.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Reply  Post New Thread