Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The DB 601 engine in the German ME 109 of WW2 was direct injected.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Fuel injection atomizes fuel in a perfect vacuum where no carburetor will work. The future of fuel delivery right now seems to be ultra high pressure super critical fuel. The fuel is heated to the point where it will auto ignite if the pressure is relieved. This super critical fuel is injected into the combustion chamber in several steps that actually control the pressure in the combustion chamber as the expansion of the combustion gasses is spread out over a longer period of time. Compression ratio is almost irrelevant since combustion occurs virtually instantly as the fuel depressurizes after injection and it's heat causes ignition without any spark, like a diesel but with gasoline as the fuel.

regards
Mech
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shafe View Post
I've heard of SAE formula 1 design where they had injectors pointed up the runner towards the plenum. The idea was to have a better AF mixture. I've heard they were a bear to start, but this could be overcome with a second set of injectors that point down the runner to the intake valve, like a typical setup and then possibly wait until the engine reaches closed loop operating conditions.

I'd imagine the runner velocities would need to be sufficiently high at slower engine speeds.
Porsche did something similar on a Indy car engine. Having all that turbo boost might have made it a different ball game.

Reply  Post New Thread