Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

We have an annual inspection called an MOT here, and no wipers is a fail, which means you cant use the vehicle on the road.

The relevant section is here MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - power steering

No mot = no insurance = prison, in simplistic terms, if i used a ten ton rv on british roads. However, as of this year, cameras are permitted instead of mirrors.

Yes, i have air brakes, and a gert big compressor running all the time which cant be good for FE. See one of my other theads re this. Im half tempted to find a big 24v electric air compressor. Less efficient when running all the time, but most of my driving is motorway (interstate), so i dont use brakes, so no air is required. The compresor currently runs all the time, and the air is dumped constantly at the tanks, a crazy setup.

Edit, just found out that the air compressor is water cooled, it runs that hard!

Last edited by guyd; 12-28-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Wow! Sounds like there are some gains to be made there! Does the rv have a/c? You can run an a/c pump as an air compressor. That way you have a clutch that can be controlled by a pressure switch. If not a small electric compressor would likely be sufficient for you brakes? I am guessing your current set up is optimized for constant start and stop city driving?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am not going to run a compressor with less cfm capacity than is stock, or near stock, as round town dtiving when trying to find a parking spot takes a while, and if the air fails, or drops too low, all the brakes come on solid. I dont belive an ac compressor is big enough, as the air line from the compressor is about 1" diameter.... Im just trying to find out the approx cfm of a truck / semi air compressor.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Yes probably not high enough cfm for around town.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd View Post
The rv is 8 feet wide, but 11 feet tall, so more wind is going left right, than up, so an upstanding wiper next to the A pillar would be worse than where it is, unless you are suggesting one in the middle? Ill have a look at the wobbly wiper system mercedes use?
I was suggesting one in the middle. You can take a look at the older Mercedes system, but would be better to have it standing like it's done in racing versions, such as the ones used in the DTM, instead of laying down like its road versions.

Reply  Post New Thread