Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
It does look to me like there is adequate clearance on the torsion beam rear axel to use one large coroplast sheet to cover up everything remaining open, but JMO.
Jack the car up, off its rear wheels, to find out what the suspension looks like near maximum deflection. Options include a flexible panel spanning the axle, or an underbody panel mounted to the axle.

As to whether the performance improvement would be measurable, well, how good is your measuring technique? Also, a boat-tailed Insight is more sensitive to airflow at the aft underbody than most cars.

On the subject of diffusers, MetroMPG posted a promo video a while back that accompanied the release of the Insight. It was not written for a technical audience, but the voiceover guy mentioned that "the coefficient of drag was reduced by keeping frontal area to a minimum"*, and the (7° by my measurement) slope behind the rear axle "reduces turbulence underneath the car".

*Not as bunkum as it sounds. Keeping height to a minimum improves fineness ratio and Cd, not just CdA.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Jack the car up, off its rear wheels, to find out what the suspension looks like near maximum deflection. Options include a flexible panel spanning the axle, or an underbody panel mounted to the axle.
I ran this experiment slightly differently, but the bottom line is; there is plenty of clearance. I jacked up one side until the tire just cleared, the theory being that this represents the limit of weight transfer, and took the clearance measurement. There is 1.5-2 inches of clearance remaining, so a straight forward large panel covering the entire rear works.

[QUOTE]As to whether the performance improvement would be measurable, well, how good is your measuring technique? [/UNQUOTE]

I've been doing some "testing of testing," but I remain convienced that small incremental improvements will be below the measurement noise on a FE twichy car like the Insight. An approach which tests several "known" improvements at one time has its own shortcomings, but the combined improvements will probably be measurable.

[QUOTE]On the subject of diffusers, MetroMPG posted a promo video a while back that accompanied the release of the Insight. It was not written for a technical audience, but the voiceover guy mentioned that "the coefficient of drag was reduced by keeping frontal area to a minimum"*, and the (7° by my measurement) slope behind the rear axle "reduces turbulence underneath the car".[/UNQUOTE]

I pretty much agree that using a rear belly pan to smooth up the rear and extend the effective area is going to make the diffuser area more effective, particularly if you install a boattail. The lower spring perches and the lower shock mounts will protrude, but even these could be covered by small bulges.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Some of the effects of increased drag may also be due to Venturi effect, maybe?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Assuming the parachute effect with panel 1 in place is correct, i.e., panel 1 prevents air from properly escaping the engine compartment, how about:

Use aluminum window screen mesh, held taught on a frame, as panel 1.

That way, the mesh lets cooling air escape from engine compartment, preventing parachute effect, but the flat, taught surface would smooth airflow from front to back. The alu mesh would also withstand exhaust pipe heat, and being an excellent heat conductor would dissipate hot spots.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Golf TDI - '10 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 37.69 mpg (US)
I was considering a piece with louvers cut in it for that reason. that would also actually create a bit of suction to help remove the air from the tunnel.

Looking again a the drawings, I'm not sure that a parachute effect is the issue. There should be plenty of room for air to escape from the gap left aft of #4 for the front suspension.

Driven: 2010 VW Golf TDI
Driven less: 2001 Audi TT Roadster (225)
Parked: 1982 VW Jetta Diesel
Old 06-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Okay. I have a 2003 Golf 2.0l gasser. I have been wanting to try this for 9 years now. The car has raised 2 boys to 8 and 6 now and is in a condition that my wife will allow it. My question is what if these panels were to be dimpled? you know, like a golf ball? Remember when the "Myth beaterz" (not sure if I can say the real name on here) show fellas did that one with the ford Tarus and the modeling clay? It had like 900 xtra pounds on it and got the best MPG? If one were to do such a mod and have the entire underside of a car done this way what would happen? and another question, what of SALT? I hate SALT! they put it on the roads here in Ohio during winter and it eats cars. What would a person do to stop that aside from constantly removing and washing? For that matter, what would happen if I "dented" my whole VW Golf Car t?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I also figure the Parachute issue would be fixed by allowing the trapped air to escape out the hood meets windshield area. Suck air in at the nose, up in, over the motro, and out the wipers area. Nuttin a swazall can't create. Would most likely have to add closeable hood louvers to allow heat to escape when stopped or ideling.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
PoorSmartGuy -

I think the dimples apply to spinning objects. In terms of parachute, I think you want to go for a "fish scale" overlap wherever possible.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread