Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
In this design, gravity is perpendicular to the force executed on your model, and you'd need to compensate for the associated drag.

Tilt the set-up 90° so the test subject hangs vertically from a scale.
That way, you'll eliminate gravity as a disturbing factor and you'll measure both forces (gravity and drag) in a linear system with only one variable.
Far easier ...
Superb idea.

If anyone does build it I would love to see pics. I have no space to do so until my MGB goes to the scrappy.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
The PRC.

Clockwork Regen

Why bother with all that messing about with nasty, heavy batteries filled with nasty, expensive, polluting chemicals, over complex electronics just waiting to go wrong or kill you. Why not clockwork regen ?

No - honest, come back, wait...

Basic idea is a big spring. The tension on the spring is added by regen braking until it reaches a maximum level. Once the driver asks for more torque the spring's tension is released and the torque added to the output of the smaller ICE.

I'm no engineer but I suspect the weight of this setup would be no more, and perhaps less than the combined motor and batteries setup of an Insight. And as it is all mechanical fixing it would be simpler.

Plus of course it could be converted to the plug-in instantly :

Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Imagine you are pushing a car that is fairly light. The human engine has low horsepower.

In my younger years I could get a small car going about 7-8 MPH, and I could push start that car myself.

Now imagine you have a mechanism that allows you to push at your ideal power level, where you are not running to push the car faster. The mechanism allows you to push without having to run and waste energy in keeping your speed matching the car. This same mechanism allows you to ride a type of conveyor belt behind the car where your speed differential never exceeds about 4 MPH, where you can apply your maximum human power to the car to increase its speed, instead of having to exert most of your energy running behind the car instead of applying most of your power to increasing the cars speed.

How fast do you think you could get the car going on only your own physical strength?

Would it be close to the same speed you could run if you where not trying to push the car?

The purpose of machines that move things is to amplify the efficiency of the power applied to the machine itself.

Consider the bicycle as the machine. It allows human energy to be more efficiently utilized for increased speed. Very efficient until you get to the point where aerodynamics become the major energy drain.

The conceptual illustration I am trying to help us visualize is an example of the effectiveness of a true Infinitely Variable Transmission. If you add capacitive energy recovery to an IVT, you have the ability to "push" the car most efficiently, regardless of how you accomplish the pushing.

That is the core rationale behind my now patented IVT design. The high efficiency of low speed hydraulic drives is a known factor, with ranges of 93-97% drive efficiency.

While a hydraulic accumulator is not an effective long term sustained energy storage system like a battery, it has several distinct advantages, especially when it comes to high rates of energy release and recapture.

The advantage of an accumulator is efficiencies approaching 100%, cycling efficiencies approaching infinity, low cost of production, and potential integration into chassis design.

As an energy damper between the peaks of application and regeneration, an accumulator and in wheel drives capable of replacing the normal friction brakes and recovering the vast majority of deceleration forces is a much more efficient wheel to wheel energy application and recovery system.

I have said this before many times here. When you have the ability to absorb and reapply the power, as well as the ability to properly load your fuel consuming power source to exploit its ideal state of efficiency, and you can do this at drive efficiencies of 95% and regenerative efficiencies approaching 90%, then you have the ability to increase fuel mileage to astounding levels.

We have debated the effectiveness of regenerative braking, and when done electrically the advantages are certainly debatable. The energy application and regeneration of the panic stop do not match the capacity of batteries motors and controllers, unless they are built to such a size and strength that the weight becomes a real penalty.

Hydraulic-electric
Hydraulic-diesel
Hydraulic-gasoline
Hydraulic-steam

Pick your configuration, but the "shock absorber" of all the phases of vehicle operation, in my opinion, will be hydraulic, just the way your brakes are hydraulic.

Since it is patented and a prototype in in the works, it may not qualify as a concept, but I think understanding the tactical advantages of such a system is important.
regards
Mech
Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
In tunnel testing you want to know lift at the front and rear, and drag. So I don't see how a vertical test mode helps?

Also the test subject should occupy no more than 10% of the tunnel x-section. If you want to do real cars, you have to go big.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aero mods, car, concepts, diy, efficiency