Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
rate of change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Thank you, that's the confirmation I was looking for.
It's where all my scratchings and calculations were pointing me, it's more about 3D air pressure and velocity at a particular point in time, rather than a 2D angle on a surface in a singular plane, although one still needs to be wary of a too agressive change at any point, there is some lee way if this is compensated in the adjacent areas.

One of the things I've been looking at with all these different equations is the rate of change of the angle and I think the ideal form has an ever decreasing rate of change, so although the angle is increasing to a max of 22-23°, the actual rate of change between sections, is decreasing, this fits with reducing air pressure as the sectional area gets smaller, so the void is filled slower and hence to avoid seperation each subsequent void must be smaller than the previous one.
If the sectional area decreases too quickly, the void cannot be filled, low pressure areas and drag are the end result.
What Hucho and all the others want us to bear in mind is that the air in the boundary layer immediately adjacent to the body surface is already at rest.
From Daniel Bournoulli,if we throw to much of a pressure rise at the flow,we're asking it to decelerate from a velocity which is already at zero.If we do it,that air will seek a lower pressure which it will find upstream where the air is faster,creating the reverse-flow which produces the shearing forces leading to separation,eddies,then full-blown turbulence.
The kinetic energy of the turbulence can never be converted to useful pressure regain in the wake and we lose the game right there.

freebeard (10-04-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I gave some thought to this design with the door moved to a rear truncation. The next step would have been to use lateral hoops instead of that hex layout.

Quote:
For this concept of a camper, the canopy would primarily form the cover of a sleeping area, so the curved shape is not an issue, cooking, washing and storage facilities would be pull out drawer sections underneath in the trailer body.
I went with flat-top fenders that flip out into benches or table tops.
Quote:
The idea so far is to have a tilt up rear with fold out walls, so when not in transit it is more like a tunnel with uniform roof height, looking a bit like the wagons of the "wild west" you see in old movies with the domed roof.
I'm a big fan of the way the Ford Evo opens up (I'd like to see this applied to the Volkhart-Sagitta):

_____

euromodder -- This was unattributed but I understand it's Wally Byam's first trailer, so—full circle.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-04-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread