Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Voluntary recall: 2001-03 Prius (NHW11)

Please feel free to share this with other forums:

Toyota USA Newsroom | Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recall of Certain Prius Vehicles

Quote:
Torrance, Calif., June 1, 2011 – Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. (TMS), today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall involving approximately 52,000 2001 through 2003 Prius vehicles sold in the U.S. to replace the electric power steering pinion shaft attachment nuts. This announcement is for U.S. vehicles included in Toyota Motor Corporation’s global recall of 106,000 vehicles.

If the steering wheel is repeatedly and strongly turned to the full-lock position, there is a possibility the nuts securing the pinion shaft in the steering gear box assembly may become loose. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, over time, the customer will gradually notice significant increased steering effort when making a left turn.

Toyota dealers will install improved nuts that secure the pinion shaft at no charge to the vehicle owner. The repair will take approximately 4 hours depending upon the dealer’s work schedule.

Owner notification letters by first class mail will begin in early July, 2011.
. . .
We have two Prius including a 2003 Prius, NHW11. But I have to admit some misgivings about this repair.

The NHW11 Prius is known to have a problem with the steering shaft, torque encoders. When they go bad, they induce an oscillation for which there are only two know fixes:

1. $1,200 replacement of steering assembly - the torque sensors can not be field replaced
2. disable electronic steering assist - at speed, no problem but parking requires more manual input. Also, there is a warning light on the dash.

Since this is a voluntary recall, I may not be the first at the shop until I understand more about what is involved. If securing the new nut requires application of significant torque through the steering assembly and the torque sensors ... hummmm. It would be a sad thing if fixing one problem put the car at risk for having the steering assembly replaced (and another nut application.)

Bob Wilson

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread