Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lightbulb FWD to RWD conversion?

I have come up with an idea and I want input on some drawbacks but wanted to see what everyone else can come up with. I am converting a 2000 Dodge Neon which is obviously front wheel drive. I have though of a way to maybe simplify the process by instead of using a transmission coupling, convert the car to rear wheel drive with the rear clip of some other small import that was RWD. In this case I could just couple the motor strait to the u-joint on the rear differential. I think this may save some weight by removing an un-nessesary component (the transmission, since it stays in high gear all the time anyways) plus it would make it available to clean up the interior of the car by removing the shifter, console ect... all I would have is an on switch and the accelerator... Any ideas from some more experiences?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1. You would need to turn the engine sideways in the engine compartment, which will require fabrication of motor mounts and mounting points along the inner fender.

2. You will need to cut a strip out of the middle of the floorboard and install a transmission/driveshaft tunnel.

3. You will still need a transmission. The rear end on rear wheel drive vehicles does not serve the same purpose as a transmission.

4. Front wheel drive systems have few components, less weight, and are less complicated than rear wheel drive systems - so you would be going backwards in fuel economy.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
He's talking about going electric too.

That might be the way to go.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriley4409 View Post
1. You would need to turn the engine sideways in the engine compartment, which will require fabrication of motor mounts and mounting points along the inner fender.

2. You will need to cut a strip out of the middle of the floorboard and install a transmission/driveshaft tunnel.

3. You will still need a transmission. The rear end on rear wheel drive vehicles does not serve the same purpose as a transmission.

4. Front wheel drive systems have few components, less weight, and are less complicated than rear wheel drive systems - so you would be going backwards in fuel economy.

Let me add to your list;

5. You need to find the appropriate rear end that will fit under your Neon.

6. Because of the Neon's rear suspension, you will have to fabricate and entire rear assembly to sustain and support the "new" rear end you are putting in.

7. You will need to fabricate a custom drive shaft.

8. The interior work will be a bit involved. Like stated, you will need a housing built to accomodate the tranny, that will require modifying your dashboard and relocating components under your dash.

9. Building a tunnel for the driveshaft will likely affect your seating, and your exhaust placement.

Not to sure what the intial goal was, but this would be an expensive detour on getting you there ...
So bottom line .... research a RWD car you'd like, for that kind of money you could possible afford anything you'd like.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 01-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
The only Direct Drive Vehicles that I know of are the Dirt track cars like the Midget class cars.

These cars need to be pushed by a truck to start their motors due to the direct drive. These cars will stall out if they come to a stop, not having a transmission.
The vehicles run different tire sizes at all four corners in or to help them turn.
Vehicle speeds are limited since it's direct drive, you can only turn the rear wheels as fast as the engine's redline.

In your case it would be best to swap a manual transmission in your neon in order to gain more FE. You could also try adjusting driving styles and techniques and see if you're happy with the results.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Hasn't ANYBODY here had their coffee yet?!?

Yeah, his cryptic post makes us read between the lines but I'm pretty sure he means electric motor.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
if you are converting it to electric then why not keep it front wheel drive? you already have the suspension, drive shafts, brakes and a while pile of other parts that you would otherwise be buying or making from scratch, you could even then tear apart the tranny and mount the electric motor right to the differential, this is more efficient then mounting it right on a rear end with a hypoed gear, when you get your tranny ripped appart just fabricate some bearing blocks to hold the differential and the motor, then seal up the edges to hold the gear oil, if you can handle a task like building a whole new drive train that task should be a cake walk.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Clarify

Just to clarify, by motor I did mean electric motor. a motor runs on electricity and a engine runs on gas... There really is a difference to those who may have not known...

Ryland, I like your idea. Thats more along the lines I was thinking with modifying the tranny. Does anybody dissagree that there is really no point in a transmission in an EV? So if I coupled the motor directly to the differential (in the current transaxle) I would have direct drive and no shifting...
Old 01-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Unless you ever need to go in reverse:rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Self inflicted dope slap- DC motors run in either direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Reply  Post New Thread