Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I think next time I change my tranny fluid in my VX I'm going to go with the Honda labeled MTF from the dealer because it only holds a few quarts so it's not a big cost.
I had Amsoil MTF in my VX tranny a few years ago when I had the main bearing go out on it, granted it also had 230,000 miles on it as well so I can't say what the true cause was but the Amsoil MTF is very thin, thinner then Honda specs for the transmission.
I currently have Amsoil 0w 30 in my current vx transmission and have no issues with it, it shifts really well in cold weather and in warm weather it feels tight and smooth and this car has 220,000 miles on it and like I said, shifts like it was new.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a relative that put synchromesh in his tranny and he says it shifts better than ever. I think that since I don't have any current tranny issues I will be going with the Honda MTF. Now I just need to pick a suitable oil that is, "Energy Conserving II". Anyone know anything about this? Do pretty much all synthetics meet that standard? Like I said earlier, I want to get the amsoil stuff, but as long as it meets that criteria. I'm not an oil "guru", which is why I'm asking for some input there. I know amsoil sells a very good oil filter as well that I'll be using in conjunction.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What is my best option for a real time feedback on fuel and such. Like the scan gauge setup?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4soccer7 View Post
Now I just need to pick a suitable oil that is, "Energy Conserving II". Anyone know anything about this? Do pretty much all synthetics meet that standard?
I believe that most or all synthetics will meet that. If you get a chance to look at the label, look for the API service logo. The "Energy Conserving" label will be a part of that, either around the outside or in the middle?

Interesting, this is a quote from the BITOG forum:
Quote:
After August1, 1997 only SJ oils will be designated as "Energy Conserving". The test for SH in combination with "Energy Conserving" and "Energy Conserving II" will not exist.
Anyway, look for the API "donut" and it will say Energy Conserving or not. If it does, its the stuff you want.

-soD
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks, I picked up some of the signature series amsoil 5w-30

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic, efficient, hatchack, honda vx