Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Well into my upgrades, but never got around to writing here

Well into my upgrades, but never got around to writing here
I posted a while back after I got pulled over and breathalyzed for driving to slow on the freeway.

Signing up for this site in order to share that story got me reading about all the potential mods, and I have been obsessing over mileage ever since.

I have a 1983 Ford F-250 truck which I run on 100% biodiesel. It has the 6.9 liter International V8 and a 4spd manual (where 1st is extra low gear, so it is essentially a 3 spd, no overdrive)

I use for my job as a hauler/mover/general handyman, which means it regularly has to hold up to 3 tons of material and being even remotely aerodynamic is out of the question when fitting an entire 1 bedroom apartments worth of furniture and belonings into the back of a pick-up.

I have been documenting the progress of my mods on my blog (Redirect), but I am not sure what category it would be most appropriate in here (general fuel economy? experiments? biodiesel? how-to?)

Incidentally, I also have a Kawasaki EX-250 (0-60<6seconds, 70mpg) and my second job involves promoting and supporting the use of the bicycle as a means of everyday transportation, but I think actual mods make for more exciting reading.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site Jacob. Don't worry too much about where to post. You'll get a feel for it all, and if its wrong a mod will move it for you. We'd love to see what you've done and mull over ideas for what you want to do.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Looks like you've already done the basics. 19.5 mpg is pretty darn good for that beast. The next mod I'd suggest is a coroplast undertray to clean up the air flow under the truck. This will get you a few more MPH for the same MPG so you're less likely to get pulled over. Also, fold back the passenger side mirror when you don't need it for an extra .1 mpg. Lastly use a good synthetic lubricant in the trans and differential for lower friction and heat. If you want to, play with heating the intake air and evaluate the effect of driveability and MPG.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Oh, I've gone way beyond the basics, but I'll post about in under modding central.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Where does one get chloroplast? I have been thinking about an underbelly pan (or maybe front dam) but I don't have any idea where to begin.

I use the mirror pretty much always, so that's out of the question.
Just taking the hose off of the intake which routes it to the cool air box makes a noticeable difference in how well it runs, esp on cold days before it warms up.
I know there is a whole debate over warm vs. cold air, and in general cold air=dense air=greater efficiency, but in the case of diesels, (given that the whole point of glow plugs is too heat the air in the chamber), it makes sense that warm air will ignite easier.
My test is extremely unscientific, but I think I will leave it for now.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Coroplast is available at sign shops. It's what they make all those campaign signs out of. COROgated PLAStic, get it? If you're going to order it, may as well get the black color. I think it's about $12 per 4x8 sheet.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
biodiesel, introduction, mods, truck