Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
We're people, people.

I talk to just about everyone I meet. Some are receptive, some are [not].

I don't always talk about political topics, or religious topics, sometimes it's just a "how ya doin" and a nod... sometimes that's all it really needs to be.

Talk to people. We're not all face-glued to our phones and computers all day. We're human. We're inherently social. We desire contact.

MAKE CONTACT.

Last edited by Christ; 10-10-2012 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: bad word. mibad.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
2000neon (10-10-2012), Arragonis (10-12-2012), PaleMelanesian (10-11-2012), rmay635703 (10-10-2012), vtec-e (10-12-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
I agree. I went to a store today that had a sign on the door that read "No Cell Phones Please". I will go back there.
Christ (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Talk to people. We're not all face-glued to our phones and computers all day. We're human. We're inherently social. We desire contact.

MAKE CONTACT.
Cell phones should be banned and only allowed to business people and disallowed for anyone under 18.

Accidents would drop in half, suicides would be cut in half and people would have enough cash in their bank accounts to get off food stamps, but I digress.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can only partially agree with that. My cell phone package actually saves me money, so banning it's use would cost me in the long run, something I'm not prepared to accept.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
I can only partially agree with that. My cell phone package actually saves me money, so banning it's use would cost me in the long run, something I'm not prepared to accept.
Hmm, does it really. My landline including all the BS and taxes was $19 a month up until 2006 when the phone companies discovered everyone wanted a cell phone and then the price jacked up. My internet service has been $4.95/month for 14 years. I don't pay for cable (nor would I probably use it)

So my original phone and internet deal was somewhere around $23.95 a month, until I moved and my phone service got royally jacked up to the point that yes it is cheaper to have a $10 a month track phone.

Ah well.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Hmm, does it really. My landline including all the BS and taxes was $19 a month up until 2006 when the phone companies discovered everyone wanted a cell phone and then the price jacked up. My internet service has been $4.95/month for 14 years. I don't pay for cable (nor would I probably use it)

So my original phone and internet deal was somewhere around $23.95 a month, until I moved and my phone service got royally jacked up to the point that yes it is cheaper to have a $10 a month track phone.

Ah well.
I'm 27. We have ONE service provider for phone and internet in this area, cable isn't available at all.

My phone provides me with internet service, SMS, email, beyond basic internet service that I can tether to a computer and expand over a LAN, as well as doubling as a high-quality camera, video recorder, audio recorder, and almost whatever other feature I deem necessary to use it for in most cases.

Previous to getting my cell phone at nearly $120/month, I'd have been paying for both local and long distance calls (everyone who's not me is long distance, basically.), I'd have been paying $30/month for basic phone service including long distance with a per-minute charge tacked on, and an additional $40/month for 256K DSL service that's hit or miss because we're so far from the loop. Television is an additional $40/month for anything worth watching that isn't just the news channels and import channels that show nothing, not that I really watch TV anyway.

The phone was free on top of all that. I have unlimited text messaging, unlimited data plan that's actually faster than DSL in most cases, not to mention I don't get charged per minute for calling my neighbor. With the additional $10/month I pay for Netflix, I can watch just about anything I want whenever I feel like it, granted it's usually a season behind.

Now on to the other functions... A decent voice recorder easily costs $30. A camera with similar resolution, up to $100, video camera (kind of a non-issue since most snap cameras also take digital video now) another $100 or so, and we're talking bottom of the line stuff here. MP3 player, another $20 for a crap USB stick, up to $300 for anything worth having. Once I get another cable, I can continue using my cell phone as a datalogging device for my car and to check OBD readout. The cable costs me about $30, the software I think was $25, and a proper reader with all the functions of my phone would have been +$300 (I have one... I should know). My phone is a rather bright flashlight. There's another $20, not counting battery changes for as often as I use it. And that's not even the half of the things I use my phone for on a daily basis.

I use my phone primarily as my internet access and computer. This saves me energy because I'm not running a 100+ watt computer setup all day (yes, I need internet access all day for various things), and I don't have a home phone/answering machine plugged into the wall. I don't have to replace batteries in all those devices, saving that waste. I have one charger for every device, saving 200 wall warts and assorting cabling, as well as the additional expense associated with owning all of those.

Yes. It's saved me money, and continues to do so.

After I get confirmation of the service ranges and quality, I'll be switching to a newer GSM phone and using Straight Talk at $45/month to further reduce my financial outlay even more.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Man has needs
I got yah, I don't use all the crapola so saving is a relative term to me, its only saving if it costs less overall. (my phone isn't my livelyhood as it is with others and its lack therof would cost me nothing)

Back in the good ol days $19 got you unlimited local calls and I had a calling card for $1.9 cents per minute long distance (still do today) Sadly instate long distance calls are going to start costing 9 cents a minute soon due to some law.

I guess there are ways around everything, and my PC/monitor combo uses about 30-45 watts depending on load, not great but not bad either, one of the advantages of a specific type of older computer and a smallish monitor.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I got yah, I don't use all the crapola so saving is a relative term to me, its only saving if it costs less overall. (my phone isn't my livelyhood as it is with others and its lack therof would cost me nothing)

Back in the good ol days $19 got you unlimited local calls and I had a calling card for $1.9 cents per minute long distance (still do today) Sadly instate long distance calls are going to start costing 9 cents a minute soon due to some law.

I guess there are ways around everything, and my PC/monitor combo uses about 30-45 watts depending on load, not great but not bad either, one of the advantages of a specific type of older computer and a smallish monitor.

Cheers
Ryan
I get that, and I'm normally quite the minimalist, but at the same time, I enjoy not having to do extra work for all those things, nor carry them around.

I often record things, ranging from police encounters (I'm an OC supporter) to basic interaction with people, to consults, etc.

I take pictures because I buy/sell things all the time.

I record videos. My kid, things I do that I'd like to show others, how-to's, etc. I have a sort of video resume showcasing my skills regarding tree felling because I also do it for others.

I need a flash light frequently. Outside lighting is a premium feature here, and it's very limited. I don't turn lights on when I don't need to.

SMS is cheaper/easier than making a phone call when I only need a meeting time or some quick details, and everything is right there in print (address, phone numbers, etc).

Instant internet access - If I need to look up specs, order a part, or what have you.

I haven't had a "job" since March, and I don't plan on getting another one any time soon... what I do works for me and it's the best method I've found that allows me to do it effectively. And I'm still looking at spending less for all of it.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
After I get confirmation of the service ranges and quality, I'll be switching to a newer GSM phone and using Straight Talk at $45/month to further reduce my financial outlay even more.
I have been searching no-contract cellular providers for my gf, but somehow have never heard of Straight Talk until now. This looks very interesting; thank you for mentioning it!

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I have been searching no-contract cellular providers for my gf, but somehow have never heard of Straight Talk until now. This looks very interesting; thank you for mentioning it!
If you don't shop at Wally World, that would be why. They're the "service retailer". I'm not fond of them, but there's nothing about my phone service providing my money to off-shore beneficiaries (that I'm aware of), so I'll bite it and use their service if it's of the same quality as my current service.

Plus, any unlocked/rooted GSM phone works. You just buy a SIM from Wal-Mart and install it in your phone and install the service package, then buy a card and put in the code for it.

You can even use an iPhone, and I hear Apple will help you unlock an AT&T phone as long as it's not the "newest" one on the market.

Reply  Post New Thread