EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   What does YOUR bike weigh? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-does-your-bike-weigh-185.html)

AndrewJ 12-04-2007 10:49 PM

What does YOUR bike weigh?

So it occurred to me about 3 minutes ago that I've never weighed my bike, and therefore I have no clue what it weighs. Being ever the slave to my curiosity, I proceeded to grab my bathroom scale, head out into the garage and get my weigh-in on.

So my previous Wild A$$ Guess as to my bikes weight was somewhere between 25-30 lbs.

So I was nearly giddy when I saw good old Margot weigh in at a svelte 43 lbs.
:cool:

I gotta quit pampering my bike so much, at 43 lbs. I can pretty much run it over with a Mack truck and not do any damage. :D

So how much does your ride tip the scales at?

MetroMPG 12-04-2007 10:59 PM

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be... a little foggy on this one), I think my old Pirate Bike is exactly the same weight!

AndrewJ 12-04-2007 11:08 PM

Mystical bicycle convergence?

You be the judge!

:turtle:

MetroMPG 12-04-2007 11:19 PM

Now I have to go weigh it again. (OK, tomorrow I'll weigh it again.)

I already heap abuse on mine: earlier this fall, it slid down a rocky shoreline (steeply sloping shoreline, thus the problem) and fell about 5 feet into the St Lawrence river. I was sitting on a rock about 10 feet away at the time. I laughed. So did a few other people in the park who saw/heard the descent & watched the retrieval process.

Fortunately I was not on it at the time. Also fortunately there was a way down (and up) to the water, and the water wasn't deep.

The latest abuse: I left it out in the open for the first big snow/ice storm, and next time I rode it, the only lever or handle that wasn't frozen solid was the front brake! (Not my preferred choice on snowy roads.)

Lazarus 12-04-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJ (Post 1366)
So it occurred to me about 3 minutes ago that I've never weighed my bike, and therefore I have no clue what it weighs. Being ever the slave to my curiosity, I proceeded to grab my bathroom scale, head out into the garage and get my weigh-in on.

So my previous Wild A$$ Guess as to my bikes weight was somewhere between 25-30 lbs.

So I was nearly giddy when I saw good old Margot weigh in at a svelte 43 lbs.
:cool:

I gotta quit pampering my bike so much, at 43 lbs. I can pretty much run it over with a Mack truck and not do any damage. :D

So how much does your ride tip the scales at?

Going up hill won't be much fun but the ride down should be pretty quick.

AndrewJ 12-04-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 1372)
Going up hill won't be much fun but the ride down should be pretty quick.

with a 26 tooth chainring on the front and a 34 tooth cog on the back(114.2-20.9 gear inches), uphill is a lot more fun than with my old lightweight singlespeed (75.6 gear inches).

*Gear inches is the distance that your bike moves with every complete revolution of the cranks*

SVOboy 12-05-2007 12:38 AM

My bikes is pretty much a porker at 58cm and 23 pounds! I want it to be sub20 eventually, which I think is decent for a 58cm bike. Oh wellz.

MetroMPG 12-05-2007 01:37 PM

OK, it's not quite in the same league as your 43 lb porker.

37.5 lbs.

Lazarus 12-05-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 1376)
My bikes is pretty much a porker at 58cm and 23 pounds! I want it to be sub20 eventually, which I think is decent for a 58cm bike. Oh wellz.

You would probably be better off buying a sub 20# bike then to try and get the weight off that one. It really gets expensive when you try and put your bike on a weight reduction program. If you look hard you might find one for around $500-700.

Mine comes in just under 21. Woot:)

SVOboy 12-05-2007 04:02 PM

The problem for me is I don't know where the weight it right now. I'm going to get a new set of wheels at some point, which should kick 2 pounds off, but other than that I'm guessing it's just in the frame. I really don't care that much about the weight though, and I like the look of my frame more than the newer carbon frames anyway. *shrug*