Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
GTR
EcoModding Lurker

Red VX - '93 Honda Civic VX

Teal VX - '94 Honda Civic VX

Godzilla - '09 Nissan GTR Premium
What Honda Insight Brake Parts bolt on to a 94 Civic VX? (and are lighter)

Hello,

I just purchased a 2nd Civic VX that engine and body wise is in much better condition than the one I purchased a few months ago. 113K miles, AC, meticulously maintained, with all service records, too!

I need to replace all the brake components on the car as it sat for 2 years and the drums/rotors/calipers are ruuuuuusty!

I know I can put Gen1 Honda Insight aluminum rear drums as a bolt on and save a few pounds.

My questions are:

Can I also bolt on Insight front and rear calipers/cylinders to the VX? If so, should I? What are the weight differences between them?

Found this info for calipers:

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=22909

Quote:
I just swapped in a pair of Insight aluminum calipers on my CRX. Everything lined up but I had to turn down the rotors to just over 9 inches in diameter. I believe this may be stock HF/insight size .

Have old bathroom scale - it showed 3 pounds lighter on calipers and 1.5 lbs lighter on claipers.

Brake line fits but does not go into slot (put on side) custom or perhaps lines from Insight may work.
Quote:
The stock Civic rotor and the Wilwood rotor weighed in exactly the same at 8.5 pounds, even though the Wilwood rotor was 1.5-inches larger in diameter. The most dramatic weight savings comes from replacing the factory single-piston caliper with the forged four-piston Dynalite Wilwood caliper. The stock caliper, with pads, weighed in at 9.0 pounds vs. the Wilwood caliper, which barely tipps the scales at 3.5 pounds

Read more: http://www.turbomagazine.com/insidet...#ixzz26XquOmpA

Can I bolt on the Insight front rotors?

Are there any weight savings to be had between the stock VX rotor and Insight rotor? And if so, can anyone confirm what the weight difference is?

Update: found this thread that says they are 7.5 lbs each: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...or-weight.html

If Insight rotors are not helpful, which rotors should I purchase?
Answers: Seems Insight rotors save 1lb over stock civic rotors.

I can just get the Duralast ones from Autozone, which are listed at 9.8 lbs for 37 dollars. But if there is something significantly lighter for the same money I'd like to go with that.

Last edited by GTR; 09-15-2012 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: more info
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I didn't realize it before, but the stock Honda wheel cylinders are aluminum as well, at least on the vx and cx they are (same part number), I had my aluminum drums off today to inspect my pads and noticed that they were not dirty rusty cast iron wheel cylinders like I was used to seeing on cars.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aluminum brakes, brakes, civic vx, honda insight