Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Hello, new from TX with a Firebird

Hi. Recently finished repairing a '90 Firebird for daily driving. Restoring a 1969 Chevy CST/10 (I guess this would be your nightmare... 350ci V8, 3 speed auto, 5000lbs, shaped like a brick).

I got the car for free from my aunt in CA. Shipped it here, and started working on it. A water pump, 6 new fuel injectors, and some odds and ends for inspection later, and it's on the road. But, went through the 1st tank of gas, and it got a paltry estimated 11-12 mpg average. Thats factoring on a 13 gallon tank... Barely got to 150 miles before filling up with a gallon or two to spare.

Now, I admit to having some fun with it, just getting it on the road. And right now at the moment the A/C is down, so driving with the windows down is all I have in the hot TX days (T-tops and a lot of glass on this car don't keep it cool). But, even as I try to drive MPG minded, I can still watch it suck gas like mad.

EPA rates it as 16 city, 25 hwy, and most my driving is highway driving.

So, wondering if there are any other 3rd gen owners here.

Stats about the car:
3.1L V6, 140 hp and 180 ft lb of torque. Fuel injected
4 speed auto, the 700R4
270,000 miles, and the car runs very strong for it's age.
Factory Trans-Am body kit, was an option in '90. Does also reduce the drag Co. over the stock Firebird
Roughly 3200 lbs, I believe.
.32Cd via Thirdgen.org
Originally a California car, so emissions and such have been well kept.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues

Last edited by texanidiot25; 07-07-2008 at 08:10 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Welcome to ecomodder! Looks like it's not too bad a start if you're taking it down the highway,
Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Welcome to ecomodder! Looks like it's not too bad a start if you're taking it down the highway,
Thanks.

I'm 17 and broke half the time getting this on the road, and working on my CST10. I was expecting a load better gas mileage from a light, fairly aerodynamic car with a small engine... lol. And $45 for a tank is no fun..

Reading here though, my driving needs to change a good bit, and to fix the a/c so the windows can stay up (and t-tops on, but their just so cool )

Though many of the mods you guys give to other cars, is pretty much already here on this. No grille opening, full width air dam underneath (the center scoops up air for the radiator, the sides direct air around the tires). Hidden wipers.. small mirrors.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 07-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Nice car. I love that body style
There is a lot of aerodynamic potential with that car.

Reply  Post New Thread