Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
I have stumbled upon the L series Saturn, it is really an Opel Vectra B. The first one I got was a v-6 wagon, all the v-6 models have an automatic. I started looking for a 4/5 which turns out is a small part of the production. They produced them from 2000 through 2004. The early 4 cylinder cars had timing chain failure issues, corrected by late 03. So early 4 cylinder cars can be bought cheaply with broken chains and bent valves.
I found and bought a loaded 02 4/5 sedan with a bad engine for $400.
I found and bought a mid 02 4/a sedan, clean and low miles for $300.
I fixed the 4/a and am driving it, I will give it to a grandson on his 16th birthday next year.
I bought a late 03 rollover for $100. Good engine and lots of parts.
I sold my v-6 wagon after picking the cream for $1000.
I bought another 4/5 with a bad engine for $100. An extra 5 speed and spare body parts.
The 02s have traction control and abs standard, side air bags and lots of room inside.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi-ultra View Post
Yeah I'll have to look at those V's. The regular Prius's don't have enough rear seat space. That's the real issue. With a second little one in the future that rear seat space is needed in the a4 let alone in the Sentra. It's really cramped for a wagon. I'm 5'6" and find it uncomfortable sitting in the back seat.
Don't discount some of the Lexus hybrids too. The sedans have lots of room and still good economy in the hybrid models.

Simon
Old 10-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
I'm gonna vote for the sixth generation Chevy Malibu... Lots of headroom, decent rear legroom, and there's even a wagon version(the MAXX)... With some aeromodding, I'm getting nearly 40mpg on my rural commute, and here's lots more to gain... There are three engines available, ranging from 2.2 liters(only available on the sedan) to 3.9 liters(on the SS), with a 3.5 liter as the midrange engine... Due to a higher geared transmission, the 3.5 liter can get similar mileage to the 2.2... YMMV, however...

My last Ecotec project...
Old 10-20-2016, 01:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm loving my w126 300sdl. I've only had it for a couple weeks, but the turbo diesel engine engine chugs along nicely. I modified the manual linkages so that it shifts nice and early and with some propane and/or w.m.i. (water methanol injection for those of us who don't read the stickies.)

This model was not available in a wagon? Trust me, you wouldn't need a wagon, the SDL (lang is German for long?) Is roomie enough for whatever it is that you could need room for.

The chassis is old enough that it will keep you busy working on it, but everything is simple. ObdII? No. MAF? No. Mercedes-Benz? Yes.

My w202 c230 was a different story. My best tank was 24, no power from the go pedal, really not sure what I saw in that car.

Reply  Post New Thread