EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   What's YOUR motivation for ecomodding (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/whats-your-motivation-ecomodding-17749.html)

Diesel_Dave 06-08-2011 10:08 AM

What's YOUR motivation for ecomodding

I wanted to take an informal poll: What's YOUR motivation for ecomodding?
A) Saving money
B) Reducing CO2 emissions
C) Reducing pollutant emissions (CO, HC, NOx, PM, etc)
D) A fun hobby
E) Other (please specify)

It's okay to give your answers in percentage form.

My answer is:

A) 90%
B) 0%
C) 0%
D) 10%
E) 0%

honestabe 06-08-2011 11:39 AM

The fact that I drive 30k+ miles per year and have a severe shortage of funds. Also, it saves cash that goes into my sports car. Plus it's a good feeling knowing that I have saved over 1003 US gallons to date driving my Metro.

California98Civic 06-08-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 243832)
...saving $ + personnal challenge (I know I can achieve better MPG!)

that and learning in general (in this case specifically engine mechanics/dynamics and aerodynamics). I want to keep my car forever, rebuild it piece by piece.

Bill in Houston 06-08-2011 01:05 PM

90% hobby (D)
10% saving money (A)

cleanspeed1 06-08-2011 01:08 PM

The challenge. Even though I am in an industry where a .5 mpg can mean a huge difference to the bottom line, I love thinking about pushing the envelope on what can be done, regardless. In the beginning it was speed, at the expense of everything else; now it's speed, mpg, and eco friendliness.

Arragonis 06-08-2011 02:19 PM

A) Saving money - 50%
B) Reducing CO2 emissions ~5% *
C) Reducing pollutant emissions (CO, HC, NOx, PM, etc) ~5-10% **
D) A fun hobby - 20%
E) Other (please specify) - 'Fighting' the numbers instead of other drivers, far less stress - 20%

* I'm sure this comes as a surprise given the 'lively' debates that have been had on this on this forum not to be re-run here, but there are many levels of skepticism.

** I don't put this so high as I assume two things - i) the engineers who designed my car optimised this, and ii) by using less fuel I reduce them further.

TheEnemy 06-08-2011 02:20 PM

Its more the technical challenge than anything else.

On the Jeep, its all technical challenge. Can I get a cinderblock with huge off road tires get 25mpg on the highway (@75mph)? The mods are going to cost more than anything I can save, but I will definetly have some bragging rights.

Arragonis 06-08-2011 02:22 PM

PS - DD, is this part of your sig entirely correct?

Quote:

~Who says that just because you're vehicle weighs 3.5 tons that you can get good mileage?~
Shouldn't that be "can't" ? ;)

Diesel_Dave 06-08-2011 02:50 PM

Yeah, you're right. Thanks for catching the typo.

Fat Charlie 06-08-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 243832)
...saving $ + personnal challenge (I know I can achieve better MPG!)

+1

Now instead of brain dead commuting with brief moments of getting real performance out of my car I'm getting real performance out of it all the time.