Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2016, 02:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Doubling the weight load on the roof just seems wrong and lazy.

I know the rest of the world or at least almost everywhere I have been uses cement shingle but they are very rare in the U.S.
In the U.S. we normally use asphalt composite shingles or steel for residential roofing.
Nothing like seeing a rickety shack buckling while holding up 9 tons of cement roofing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
I had thought about installing solar panels, but I'll likely be moving in the next 2 years. I'll still keep the home, but I doubt renters would want to pay extra just because their utility bill is lower. Electric rates are very low here at $0.08 per kWh, and my roof isn't facing directly south.

My plan is to build our next house, and that will be the one to get solar or wind. Probably 5 years out on that.

I'll check with the ReStore places to see if a deal can be had on asphalt shingles. Failing that, maybe I can get a 20% off movers coupon to work. The post office used to supply the coupons.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
My plan is to build our next house, and that will be the one to get solar or wind. Probably 5 years out on that.
Why not both?

You might ask me about geodesic domes. They're rare because they are all owner self-built; generally by people who don't understand how they should be architected. Here is one built on the Oregon coast in 1980:

http://jonmacken.com/dome.html
Old 05-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why not both?

You might ask me about geodesic domes. They're rare because they are all owner self-built; generally by people who don't understand how they should be architected.
I'll be grid-tied, so I won't have a need to supply all of my own power. As long as I generate close to what I consume, I'll be happy. The technology I choose will depend on what will produce the most kWh per $ for that location. Ideally I'd find a site suitable for micro-hydro, but that requires a small stream with lots of elevation drop, or a large stream that can be dammed.

I have many concerns about domes. The first being of noise isolation between rooms. I want a place where loud movies could be played while others sleep. I also don't like how much roofing material is used, and the difficulty in replacing it due to the compound shape.

I do like the fact that a sphere has the most interior volume to surface ratio, and is a structurally sound shape. It seems like it would be efficient to heat and cool too. Beyond that, I don't know what the advantages are.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Metal roof over existing shingles.

Then your done.

For life................................

>
The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
jamesqf (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
Metal roof over existing shingles.
Yeah, though I don't know about the over part - though I freely admit I'm no roofing expert.

The other good part is that you can find metal roofs that will stand up to a reasonable amount of wind. I've seen several neighbors lose large chunks of their shingled roof in a good winter storm - and they go right ahead and replace it with more shingles.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Metal roof over pitch-wise sleepers. With a continuous ridge vent and eave vents. The 'hot tin roof' drives a passive ventilation system AKA free air-conditioning.

Quote:
I have many concerns about domes. The first being of noise isolation between rooms. I want a place where loud movies could be played while others sleep. I also don't like how much roofing material is used, and the difficulty in replacing it due to the compound shape.... Beyond that, I don't know what the advantages are.
I've only lived in one dome myself; but TLDR it was the cleanest quietest and warmest place I've ever lived [Alert:small sample size].

Cleanest because, if you think about it dust settles in corners. When the air circulates in a torus shape inside a[n approximate] hemipshere, the dust leaves with the ventilation air.

Quietest because outside sounds can't get in! And if the speakers are placed appropriately, they don't need as much power to reach whatever level you desire. And the neighbors won't complain. OTOH, with a saddle-curved entry tunnel the whole structure becomes a instrument in the landscape. Don't point it at the neighbors house.

Warmest because it had radiant floor heat in the concrete slab. The biggest problem was in the winter you had to wear slippers. It was cheap-@ss construction T-111 siding asphalt shingles, aluminum window frames. A well constructed dome might be low-heat-loss and be heated by a copper globe full of (solar heated) water in the skylight. (the weight would act as a keystone, post-stressing the whole thing)

Oh—noise: All walls are radial to the center; no hallways, just alcoves. In an open dome sound travels along the surface; you can face the wall and whisper and someone on the other side can hear, but someone in the middle can not. Contrarywise, all the sound that passes through the middle can be muffled by a cylindrical absorber (maybe a spiral staircase). Or, cancelled with a speaker....

I'd better stop. Why isn't this in Saving@Home?
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

You can roof over old asphalt shingles, usually up to three total layers. If you already have three layers, your roof leaks, is visually sagging or the existing tiles would create an irregular surface, you will want do a tear down. After the tear down, replace sagging or rotted sheathing and/or support beams. This is also a good time to put on ice guard, if it isn't there already. Codes usually require it on new construction. [Also, if you have been thinking of putting in sunroofs, sun tunnels, vents or any other penetration, do it while the roof is bare.]

Roof tear downs create a large amount of trash, much more so if you are replacing sheathing. I doubt you will be able to keep the pile hidden while you whittle it down with the weekly garbage pickup, though I do like the idea. My father disappeared a torn up cement driveway that way, one or two chunks at a time over a decade.

You might want to schedule a dumpster. They cost around $120 and up around here. They will usually drop it and return in a a few days to a week or more. Keep an eye on it, because people will fill it with their own junk when you aren't looking.

Working on ladders or on the roof is serious business. BE VERY,VERY CAREFUL!!!!!! I was only very careful and did some serious damage.

There is a local manufacturer here in Utah, Bartile, that sells a large selection of fiber-cement roofing tiles.

A have an uncle who built a geodesic dome house east of Auburn, California. If you look carefully, you can see it through the trees, off to the right of the westbound lanes of I-80. He also used an all-weather wood foundation. It was nice, the one time I visited. He sold it about fifteen years ago, as it was too big to take care of at his age (now deceased).

It was a rather small frequency dome. There is a much higher frequency and larger diameter dome home here in Salt Lake. It is in the Holladay area, between Wasatch Blvd and I-215. I read about it in an alternative architecture book my parents gave me when I was a boy. A few years ago, it was for sale and I went on a tour of it. It was pretty nice inside. sometime in the last thirty years an owner had put up shingles over the exposed foam that covered it originally. It improved the look substantially. The house and property had nice views but too much road noise and priced too high for me.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
A dumpster rent for me in 2008 was $250 when I was living in Virginia.
Call first, I too was assuming it would only be around $100.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I can dispose of the roofing material for $10/yd, or $87 per ton. How many yards and tons would you imagine a 2 story, 2100 sq/ft house would have?

... That reminds me that I need to buy a measuring tool so I can figure how many squares I'll need.

I still don't know if there are advantages or disadvantages to leaving the existing roof on. I'd think it would offer an additional layer of water protection and insulation.

Don't know what ice guard is. I'm planning on putting felt down, if that's what it is.

I'm interested in a ridge vent, but don't know how difficult that would be to do. I like the idea of getting rid of the plastic vents altogether and just having a continuous ridge vent, but I don't think I have enough ridge. The 4 sides of the roof are almost triangles that meet at the top, leaving a short ridge of maybe 10 ft.

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-31-2016 at 08:53 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread