Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
My grandma buys a calendar for me every Christmas. Never used a paper calendar in my life.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've never blocked anyone in my life, and never will. I respect opinions even if I don't agree with them.

I always appreciate your comments, but don't always find them useful.

All Darc showed why brand doesn't matter with frames. That leaves lenses as the only important factor, but you didn't say why cheap lenses are not worth their low price (other than they degrade more quickly?), only to say that they are crap.

Well, my vision is vastly improved with my cheap (Costco) lenses. I'm willing to be wrong about buying cheap glasses, but I'd need to see an explanation of why (and not a proclamation).

...then, I'd need a good explanation why I should spend top dollar on sunglasses that will rarely be worn, and likely be destroyed playing ultimate frisbee. I plan to replace a pair of prescription sunglasses every couple years. I don't want to be that guy still wearing gold frame and rose colored glasses 20 years after they were fashionable. While I pay little attention to fashion, I pay some attention to it.
You failed in the opening post to offer the necessary context.

“Prescription “ and “cheap” don’t even belong in the same paragraph. Eyes are valuable.

Since it’s single-number, minimal diopter, look to WRAPAROUND eyewear that is inscribed on lense with ANSI-spec (certified safety workwear). See if same frame & lense is recommended to shooters. (Avoid lenses designed for glare).

There’s a reasonable minimum. This is it.

As to useful: need to upgrade those reading skills.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
You failed in the opening post to offer the necessary context.

“Prescription “ and “cheap” don’t even belong in the same paragraph. Eyes are valuable.

Since it’s single-number, minimal diopter, look to WRAPAROUND eyewear that is inscribed on lense with ANSI-spec (certified safety workwear). See if same frame & lense is recommended to shooters. (Avoid lenses designed for glare).

There’s a reasonable minimum. This is it.

As to useful: need to upgrade those reading skills.

I figured "What's the cheapest place to get a decent pair of prescription sunglasses" was a sufficiently precise explanation of what I'm looking for, but since it wasn't I provided more context. I need something cheap enough that I'll replace them every couple years. By replacing every couple years, it also keeps me closer to my current prescription compared to every 10 years or some longer duration. So even if expensive glasses can be more precise, they won't be more precise over the duration of intended wear.

Some websites have had prescription glasses as cheap as $30, and people seemed to be happy with the value they received at that price. I'm willing to spend a bit more than that, perhaps $100, but $400 is outrageous.

Besides all that, the value of eye health has got nothing to do with expense of glasses. An improvement in vision is an improvement. Being able to see at 20/20 or better is good enough for me. As it is, I have zero prescription sunglasses, which is worse than having cheap ones.

Your reasonable minimum is different than mine because we have differing values. That is the reason I didn't find value in your post because we have differing values. That doesn't mean you're wrong, or that I'm wrong, it's just a difference in value.

BTW- I do read your posts more carefully than others because it contains philosophy, which I'm very interested in. Why to do something is at least as important as how.

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-17-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Old 02-17-2019, 11:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Redpoint, what is exactly the problem with your eyes?
Myopia?
Hypermetropia?
Altigmatism?
Presbiopy?

Depending of the problem it can evolve or not with time.

One question. What about the blue light LED that they talk today about be a hazard to the view?
Is it to all LEDs, even the ones that look like pure white or even a little bit yellow, or just to some new types of LEDs used in some types of smartphones, cell phones etc?

Last edited by All Darc; 02-17-2019 at 11:29 PM..
Old 02-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I've got fairly bad astigmatism in left eye and vary mild astigmatism in right.

I don't know about blue light harm except that it's supposed to keep you up at night. I'm up at night regardless of the color of light, or no light at all.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

So you may be right about change of prescription lenses in couple of years, since astigmatism can vary or even return after surgery.

I wonder how many doctors tells the patient about that before performe laser surgery. I bet most don't.

But if your right eye have very mild astigmatism, it should no problem to reed, since the brain would consider more the eye's view which have the image in better focus.

About blue light. Some said it was dangerous to increase cataract risk, and others, like this article, said there is no proof of that : https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-...out-blue-light
Medical science...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've got fairly bad astigmatism in left eye and vary mild astigmatism in right.

I don't know about blue light harm except that it's supposed to keep you up at night. I'm up at night regardless of the color of light, or no light at all.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-18-2019 at 09:39 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread