Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Pretty sure the aft center location on a full size van is in a turbulent location, so it shouldn't matter as far as drag is concerned. Obviously I didn't do testing, but the playcool didn't work at freeway speeds. (Water mist swamp cooler)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire516 View Post
I would like to do away with the rear-doors' glass entirely, something that isn't so easily broken into (even though I don't plan to keep valuables in the vehicle, someone would have to break in to figure that out for themselves). But a similar hatch mechanism would be nice with a panel of a different material.
I wonder if the setup of a louvered window, similar to what was fitted to those Westfalia Volkswagen-based conversions, could eventually improve the airflow. I'm sure it won't be rocket-science to get some louvered windows for bathroom and repurpose them in your van, and eventually replacing either all or some of the pieces of glass.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Matt Foley's worst nightmare - '09 Chevrolet Express 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I wonder if the setup of a louvered window, similar to what was fitted to those Westfalia Volkswagen-based conversions, could eventually improve the airflow. I'm sure it won't be rocket-science to get some louvered windows for bathroom and repurpose them in your van, and eventually replacing either all or some of the pieces of glass.
Louvered windows carry too much of a stigma here in the US. The fact that it's a "White Van" already has a stigma after the DC Sniper around 2003.

My work requires me to spend months at a time anywhere in the US (healthcare contractor). Unfortunately, some people really don't like van dwellers of any kind. As millennials are getting increasingly hype about "#vanlife" municipalities are coming up with new ordinances and businesses are revising their overnight parking policies.

Many people may be able to not care what others think but my housing/lodging is often provided by the agency/employer, so being a good neighbor can factor in to their opinion of my professionalism. C'est la vie.

Although roof mounted ventilation could raise suspicion of a van-dweller, commercial vans often have ventilation.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire516 View Post
Louvered windows carry too much of a stigma here in the US.
Only for vans and RVs or for real estate too? Meanwhile in Brazil, all the windows in my apartment are louvered.

Quote:
The fact that it's a "White Van" already has a stigma after the DC Sniper around 2003.
I'm aware of the white van stigma, even before that event. You know, all that "molester van" stigma.

Quote:
My work requires me to spend months at a time anywhere in the US (healthcare contractor). Unfortunately, some people really don't like van dwellers of any kind. As millennials are getting increasingly hype about "#vanlife" municipalities are coming up with new ordinances and businesses are revising their overnight parking policies.
In my country, there is no such rejection against van dwellers, even though safety concerns are not out of question as a van might be more vulnerable to damage while parked on a public venue.

Reply  Post New Thread