Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
[Wiki] Manumatic, manual control of automatic transmission gears

I have just modified my car to give me manual control of the gear selection. It was much easier than i thought it would be only took a few hours and it works well giving me proper control of the gear. When this is added to torque converter manual control i get great control of the auto transmission giving me some good efficiency savings.

I have put in the wiki how i did the mod if anyone else wants to try out the mod themselves.

Manumatic - EcoModder

This thread is intended to be the discussion thread for this mod.
So if you have any issues with what i have put in the wiki at the moment or any suggestions or extra info please post or change the wiki

Once i have tested out this mod a bit more im likely to push it up to the "proven" mod section in the wiki main page

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
OMG... It's SkeeterB!!!

Send a message via AIM to skeeterb Send a message via Yahoo to skeeterb
When I saw that Wiki page, it gave me an idea for a program for a PIC microcontroller. It uses 3 inputs 1 switch to activate it, and 2 for the actual shifting. As I just started it, I'm still playing around with how it is set up and activated. I'll offer it when I get more finalized on the shifter program.
Not with a Bang
But with a Belch
BUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPP
Old 03-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Saan,
Good for you. It takes a lot of nerve to modify the controls on a modern automatic because if you screw up, things can get very expensive very fast.

I take it that this mod works for the Mazda transmission. How do you handle pressure control when you shift?

If anyone is considering doing this mod, I would caution you that most automatics operate in a generally similar way, but they all have individual maker characteristics. I would advise buying the factory shop overhaul manual for your particular transmission and study it thoroughly so you have a complete understanding of how it works before you begin. The newer the car, the more complex it is likely to be and the more the ECU might object if you start hacking the system.

I speak from experience here. I built my own stand alone "semi-automatic" controller for the Ford E4OD transmission several years ago and have been running two vehicles on them ever since. It took me almost a year of study and development, and no small amount of money to get it to the final operational stage.

I'm not saying that this mod won't work, but I am saying that there is more to it than first meet the eye.
'93 Bayliner 3288 Twin Ford 5.8L V8s (351 Windsors) converted to tuned port EFI. Megasquirt MS1 Custom MSnS Extra
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
OMG... It's SkeeterB!!!

Send a message via AIM to skeeterb Send a message via Yahoo to skeeterb
I've been looking for the manual for the GM 125C/3T40 automatic transaxle for my Pontiac Grand Am, since I am thinking of converting it from a ICE to EV. Being better able to get more miles out of a charge would be good for the battery pack. With its stock setup, I'm not sure exactly of the MPG of the GA, but I know i can get up to nearly 500 miles on a tank of regular unleaded gas. I spent many a day on the highway with that car.

Not with a Bang
But with a Belch
BUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPP
Reply  Post New Thread