Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2019, 05:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Your preference will cost $$$
IF the bottom line was just money, then I would scrap the big gas gussying van and get a tiny smart car, or a all electric car.

But I am trying to lower the pain and guilt of driving this BIG great riding van which can also serve as a camper and carry cargo for a business trip.

SO I am trying to get the maximum MPG with in these out lines.

Big customized van, big 350 or 383 Chevy (Because I learned by doing a smaller 305 motor is crap, no power and worst MPG) motor running low RPM cam and TPI injection, big fat 18 inch wheels and tires but sized so tires are stock height, ( These because they are the safest tires I have ever ran, one tire failed at 80 MPH and there was NO control problem and on dry roads give great traction) custom tuned PCM running Lean Burn Cruse tuned to Vans needs, and special transmission, a stock 4 speed with a added Borg Warner Over Drive OR a newer 8 spreed auto with a very low rear end gears.

Even with all that I am working on getting a 2002 Ford SUV Explorer with a V6 and 5 speed which will serve us as a smaller more reasonable run about that is in-between the Crown Vic and the Big Van.

I believe I will have the best good MPG running cars to fit my everyday needs.

Rich

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
IF the bottom line was just money, then I would scrap the big gas gussying van and get a tiny smart car, or a all electric car.

I believe I will have the best good MPG running cars to fit my everyday needs.

Rich
Before my 1989 Diesel suburban 5mt rusted out I was getting around 30mpg highway 2.8 rear end and nv3500
That body isn’t much different than your van

That was not at 80mph and my guess is your not going to get much improvement at that speed
Old 01-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Before my 1989 Diesel suburban 5mt rusted out I was getting around 30mpg highway 2.8 rear end and nv3500
That body isn’t much different than your van

That was not at 80mph and my guess is your not going to get much improvement at that speed
You maybe right, but I got to try...by the way that 14MPG seems to be at nearly any speed above 55 MPH....up to 80/85 MPH...and yes I felt something was wrong, my best guess is it cannot meter fuel at all.

Saw such "performance" on a day trip up I17 to Sedona AZ. and back...odd as a good part of that run was up hill.

Rich
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
You maybe right, but I got to try...by the way that 14MPG seems to be at nearly any speed above 55 MPH....up to 80/85 MPH...and yes I felt something was wrong, my best guess is it cannot meter fuel at all.

Saw such "performance" on a day trip up I17 to Sedona AZ. and back...odd as a good part of that run was up hill.

Rich
If fuel economy never seems to change you are likely overgeared

A higher rear end ratio in that case should improve fuel economy
Old 01-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
If fuel economy never seems to change you are likely overgeared

A higher rear end ratio in that case should improve fuel economy
That AND/OR poorly regulated fuel supplied by the crappy TBI system, better over fed than dead I think they thought.

But trucks and Vans have always gotten worst MPG that the seemly same motors, fuel systems, transmissions, and rear end gears that came in cars.

Rich
Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
That AND/OR poorly regulated fuel supplied by the crappy TBI system, better over fed than dead I think they thought.

But trucks and Vans have always gotten worst MPG that the seemly same motors, fuel systems, transmissions, and rear end gears that came in cars.

Rich
Only word here Aerodynamics. Or as Irv Culver used to say:"drag sucks"
Old 01-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Only word here Aerodynamics. Or as Irv Culver used to say:"drag sucks"
I am well aware, and it may very well be a problem, at this point I have found very little change in the vans MPG from 65 MPH to 85 MPH.

Also this van seems very well Aerodynamic: I found IT was the first Van NOT pushed around by the bow wake of air by the BIG RIGS when either passing them or they passing me, and after 20 years of driving normal vans THAT was a BIG surprise.

Check it out here if interested:

https://www.facebook.com/richardacoy...0269632&type=3

Rich
Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Afaik drag has to go up with speed. So obviously something is odd here which could make huge mileage gains if altered.
Any instrumentation planned?

Like freebeard, I dont do Facebook, so the reference was non operational.