Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
In the fasting lane

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 55.71 mpg (US)

It - '09 Hyundai I10 Active Cool
Team Hyundai
90 day: 29.19 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,325 Posts
I believe I read somewhere the air speed close to the radiator is 1/6th of the velocity of the vehicle. Which, if true, means that the energy that could be derived of that fan is 1/6^3 of what it could have been in full wind.
Which is as close to nothing as anything; it would be a real challenge to harvest more than a few milliWatt out of that.

One could stick a row of TEGs to the radiator with a copper strip on the back and harvest a few Watt from the Seebeck effect. That in comparison would be way less uneffective.

I've been thinking about a micro turbine on the air intake to harvest energy from the vacuum draw on partial load, only to find no suitable turbines and generators for such a tiny draw exist. There's a potential of several hundred Watt there, but even that proved to be elusive.

I wish I could have given off a happier signal.

COVID-19: Some people just don't get it.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Interesting idea. On a gasoline powered engine, some of the restriction of the throttle body can be performed by the fan generator.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 5,624 Times in 4,484 Posts
Quote:
I believe I read somewhere the air speed close to the radiator is 1/6th of the velocity of the vehicle. Which, if true, means that....
I can't confirm that, but it's been said that the opening of a properly ducted shroud should be 1/6th the area of the radiator itself.

One could perform a test with an electric fan, but before or after the radiator it would be like trying to breath with a pillow on your face.

Change my, you know, the thing.