Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
Windshield on a DR650

Normally I don't like riding a bike with a windshield it is just not as much fun. But I have heard everyone report that this model actually helps out mileage. So I picked one up from newenough.com. I will leave it if it actually helps mileage enough to make it worth dealing with having it on the bike.

I don't have a picture of it yet that is the companies picture. Mine isn't tinted. it is a Turbo City DR 650 Adventure Touring Wind Screen

So I rode to work today 100 miles. I have been averaging 52mpg holding it at a constant 70 on the highway. Today I would say my average speed was closer to 75-80. I filled up when I got home and I still managed 55mpg. So next week I will try harder to keep it at an easy 70 and see what it really does. I normally get 55mpg when I drive it easy and don't go fast. This time it was driving it pretty hard and fast since I had to make up time on my way to work due to construction(normal hard riding is 45mpg). I bet it will be around 60mpg when I get used to it and drive it easy. I will report my mileage on it next week with normal driving.

I will drive it a week or two to get the feel for the mileage before I change the sprockets. Stock it is geared 15/42 and I ordered a 16/41 to go on it. I will use a 14 tooth front for when I want to offroad they are a 15 minute job to change. I figure with the improved aerodynamics I need to change the gearing to take advantage of it so the shield with the gearing should give me pretty good numbers hopefully.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My bike is only human powered but a fairing helped a lot. I bought it to put on my very heavy, steel mountain bike that I use to commute during the winter. It floored me that with the faired bike, extra clothes on, change of clothes and lunch in a backpack, it took me the same time to cover the 13 miles as it did on my titanium road race bike! The route is rolling hills with no real altitude change. The wind is usually a cross wind from the west, so it's a non issue.

People snicker, and my wife calls it "The CHPS Mobile". I don't care. I save money, stay fit, keep warm. The zzipper fairing was a great investment.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
nut

So the last week or two of driving with the shield either on or off didn't give me good numbers.

I got 55, 61?, 45, and 49 with the shield. and 49, 55, 51 without it. The gear change didn't seem to change my mileage but all the numbers are not my normal commute. I no longer am driving the same 100 mile round trip every day and am only going 21 miles two days and 60 miles the third day and that one is 25% dirt shortcuts.

I am going to put the windshield on and leave the 16/41 gears on it for a few weeks and see what it does. I will have my best chance for some consistent numbers on the way to the meet next weekend so I will see how that goes.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
!!!!!!!!HHEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
you're sposed to drive the Metro to the meet.
S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
nut

Metro hasn't moved since me and you went to eat in it There is no way I will be able to get the exhaust done this week and with it the way it is it would suck going 45mph the whole way.

At least the bearings and brakes seem to be good on it now so the last issue is the exhaust and it is ready to be a daily driver again.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
nut

Well another few weeks and enough miles on it I can calculate an overall average. If I add up all the tanks with the windshield I get 51mpg. Compared to 53 for the last 1000 miles before trying it. I think it helps the mileage on the higher end like over 70mph but slower speeds it seems to hurt the mileage maybe.

Not sure what to make of the numbers, they are all over the place but it seems like it either isn't actually helping enough to matter or maybe even slightly worse. My mileage without the windshield is pretty predictable and pretty much 50-57mpg depending on the speed I am going. But with the shield it varies from 45-60mpg and I can't really get a good feel for what is causing the variations. I have had a lot more lower mileage tanks than better mileage though.

I guess one of the problems is I am 6'4 and the shield had to be pretty tall in order to keep the wind buffeting from trying to rip the helmet off my head. That extra height on it is probably what is causing the trouble. For someone that is 6' or less I would say the shield would improve mileage pretty consistently. But for me I am probably going to take the shield off and either put it on a shelf or sell it.

Reply  Post New Thread