Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
So, Phil, I'm gathering that this would not be an optimal forebody. With that windshield angle will it be worth building the topper?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
So, Phil, I'm gathering that this would not be an optimal forebody. With that windshield angle will it be worth building the topper?

I have a '62 Dodge D100 which got 11 mpg and top speed of 55 mph with its 4.56:1 differential.When I was in College,I tufted the truck and with my dad playing test-driver,I was able to photograph the truck at speed.I was surprised at how well the airflow behaved at the cab.

I swapped in a 4-spd OD trans and taller rear end from a '77 Dodge,an electric cooling fan, which pushed the mpg to 16.
Then I did a radiused nose fascia with airtight,reduced inlet radiator duct,plex covers for headlights and signals,front wheel gap reducers,ditched the truck mirrors and replaced with car mirrors,full rear wheel skirts,and the original aeroshell with plan taper.These mods added 5.5 mpg,pushing the HWY mpg to 21.5,nearly double.Across the White Sands Missile Range the Dodge was indicating 98 mph with a very weak slant-six.

I think your Ford would respond equally well to mods.If it were an early HUMMER or Land Rover I'd say fugetaboutit.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Nice! I won't be doing the nosecone or anything flagrantly non-OE but it is good to know. Did you tuft the roof of the cab to see if the flow was detaching (assuming that is the problem with upright windshields)?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Nice! I won't be doing the nosecone or anything flagrantly non-OE but it is good to know. Did you tuft the roof of the cab to see if the flow was detaching (assuming that is the problem with upright windshields)?
I stood on an overpass as my dad made passes below me on the highway.The roof looked okay.I had expectations of seeing really nasty whipping of the yarn.It just never happened.
Apparently,between the curvature of the glass to the A-pillar,and over the header up to the crown of the roof,there's enough 'attack' to hold the airstream against the body,even with all the drip rails and gaps.
The glass in deeply inset on the doors,so its a little dirty in there,but everything seems to recover as the flow moves close to the bed.
An early 70s JEEP CJ with Cd 0.80 would be a poster child for writing off streamlining.But it seems to take something that bad to negate the effects of aft-body mods.Which is good for all of us,as it gives us more confidence to just jump in.
The Ford looks good! Like it never got near salt.

Reply  Post New Thread