Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I would love to see at least 300,000 miles on this car. As far as I know replacing the timing belt, changing out the head gasket and regular maintenance is all I need to get there.
You should be able to just re-torque the head gasket if that is needed. To do this, undo a head bolt till it just cracks loose (it will make a loud, distinct noise). Then re-tighten that same bolt to spec right away.

Find out the order the headbolts are tightened in and do it in that order.

As far as fiberglass hoods and fenders, There may be issues with more noise, there will certainly be issues with crash protection in case of an accident.

Low weight wheels are good, and that is a neat website. The value that really matters is rotational moment of inertia, though. That tells how difficult it is to spin the wheel up to speed. Two wheel-tire packages with the same weight would have different rotational inertias. I have never seen that value posted, you would have to make up a special machine to measure it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-17-2009, 04:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bantha bob - '09 Aprilia Sportcity 250
Since I posted. The car was broken into and the dash torn apart to get to the stereo. Some things taken.

2 weeks later the transmission explodes. Differential. It was leaking fluid from the tranny and I think I overfilled.

Trans for this car sell used for 200-400 but its Russian roulete until it blows again.

I called aamco and they told me to bring in the two busted trans and they take the good parts and make 1 trans and charge me 2000 grand for it.

Right now its been sitting collecting snow parked outside.

good car and mpg but a money pit so far.

Nobody wants to touch the trans....its an auto. I guess manuals are easier.

Reply  Post New Thread