Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Flying Brick - '96 Pontiac Bonneville SE
90 day: 23.57 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to QuickLTD Send a message via Yahoo to QuickLTD
Aero Modding 96 Bonneville

Ok here goes..
I will address these more as I plan and complete each. Taking into account Florida heat.
1, Driving light relocation
2, Partial/Full lower grille block
3, Front under tray/pan
4, Upper grille block
5, Rear under tray/pan

This one is not mine (same color). It was a good picture to give you an idea of what I am working with.

First up: Relocating my driving lights. I dont expect to see any gains from this one it is more for my head and a place to start. I didnt know how I was going to approach this since even the factory delete plugs mount in the same location as the lights. What I discovered was that there is a channel cut in the bumper cover along the top of the driving light mouting pocket. I can make a simple extension and "push" the lights up an inch and a half to the edge of the mounting pocket. This will make it flush on the outside, bottom and much closer on the inside. Then I will close off the remaining channel. I really want to keep the lights so this might be a best of both worlds solution.

I should have the finished pictures by this weekend

Glad to be here and finally get started!
Dean

Last edited by QuickLTD; 04-16-2009 at 12:45 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Welcome to EM!

You could simply cut out some plexi and put it in front of the DL lenses... new cars are doing this already, as I saw yesterday on a 2009 Ford something or other. Simpler solution that doesn't really require modding.

Usually, if you try to explain to someone else how you're going to do your mod, then have them explain it back to you, and what comes back to you is exactly what you said, although in different words, then the mod is about as easy as it gets.

But if you try explaining to someone that they would have to make a bracket, drill holes, move/realign something, etc.. then it becomes "work" which many are not willing to do.

If you want to find out about the gains of the DL cover before changing anything, just use tape!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
QuickLTD -

This sounds like the plexi-cover-mod that Christ was suggesting :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...i-do-7729.html

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I thought of that but the I have two issues. The edges of the mounting pockets are very thin in comparison to the vehicle that cfg83 posted and the lights are not sealed from the back against the bumper cover. Dirt would accumulate quickly in my specific case.. Florida is like a giant sandbar. I do like how that turned out though.
Dean
Old 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

Your car is identical to mine mechanically. I'll be doing a front tray soon.

Also, try sealing the gaping hood gaps in the front with weatherstripping. It's a few more square feet blocked off that way. And a cleaner engine bay!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bonnevilles came from the factory with one from the radiator support to the front crossmember and an underbody lip to direct air into the radiator. My car had neither by the time I got it So I intend on improving the design.. I all glad all those mounting holes are predrilled LOL
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ok, I decided to do my partial rear pan while I am under the car this weekend. What I want to do it use the mufflers heat sheild as the front mount and the extra holes in the bumpercover for the rear. I intend to extend the length of the front mounting points an inch and a half so I dont have that backwards angle as seen in the second picture. The muffler does not drop below the body work it is just the camera angle. Also, That pocket you see back there goes up almost a foot so im thinking a lot of turbulence.

P.S. A big thank you to my Ex-wife who just opened her own real estate brokerage and donated her old aluminum signs (12) to the cause.. Sturdy and lightweight.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

Your car is a lot cleaner underneath than mine. The whole area back there is filthy and rusty. The only nearby source is from the rear wheels, so that lends credence to your turbulence theory.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yeah I am lucky to have a car that has never left Florida.. BTW I found out the 92 Bonneville has a CD of 36. 1992 was the first year for this body style. They changed the front bumper cover and grille on the SE model a few times before they settled on the one I have. The 92 had a flatter bumper cover and a more upright grill compared to point on mine. I am sure they did it for looks but a pointer beak cant hurt...

Old 04-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

All done. This was really easy to do. The mount that attaches to the bumper has a lip and I set the new depth with that lip. Drill two holes per side and thats it. It's subtle change but the pictures don't do this justice. The lower bumper looks more aggressive and is more pleasing to the eye in my opinion. The only thing I need to do is center them a bit more. The holes are not round out towards the front. Sorry about the dirty car but I dont want to risk a $500 fine for washing it on the wrong day. We are in a big draught here. I didnt get to the tray I unexpectedly had to play mechanic on a friends car today. I will get it done this week.

Before and after

Was 3.5 inches onthe big side, now 2 inches and flush around the outside. I used sticky backed foam weather stripping around the lenses and some of the aluminum I have to fill in the channel over the lights.

I decided If I knew someone who was good at cutting aluminum sheet I would cover the light pockets permanently after looking around down there yesterday.

Reply  Post New Thread