Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bare bones - '86 Toyota Pickup Bare bones
@ diesel Dave. Hey so after several months of not doing anything I'm a little more determine now to follow through with this project. I was thinking simple plywood front and back with ribs either 1/2" conduit or PVC pipe spaced about a foot apart at the front I was thinking of canvas drop cloth cuase I already have it but after looking at this thread again I'm thinking shrink wrap for boats might be easier.

What are your thoughts? I just have my phone so I can't really post any pics

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86toypickup View Post
@ diesel Dave. Hey so after several months of not doing anything I'm a little more determine now to follow through with this project. I was thinking simple plywood front and back with ribs either 1/2" conduit or PVC pipe spaced about a foot apart at the front I was thinking of canvas drop cloth cuase I already have it but after looking at this thread again I'm thinking shrink wrap for boats might be easier.

What are your thoughts? I just have my phone so I can't really post any pics
I think it's a great idea. I was thinking something similar--a solid plywood front and then ribs of conduit, 1/4" rebar, or something similar. I contemplated making a prototype covering out of some lumber-wrap. If that works I'd step it up next time with some actual cloth or canvass.

For the final version I think the ribs could be something similar to the ribs that are used for camping tents. They're flexible, fairly strong, and could be disassembled and folded up in the cab for storage.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I like the idea of the lumber rap. Is that the same stuff that they use to wrap a house when building it? With that I could staple it in place. I'm trying to do this on a budget, I have the plywood and some canvas (just some painters drop cloth from harbor frieght) I still need to buy the "ribs" and maybe I'll check with home depot or lowes to see if they have any lumber rap scraps from their recent shipments
Old 10-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
Quote:
I like the idea of the lumber rap. Is that the same stuff that they use to wrap a house when building it? With that I could staple it in place. I'm trying to do this on a budget, I have the plywood and some canvas (just some painters drop cloth from harbor frieght) I still need to buy the "ribs" and maybe I'll check with home depot or lowes to see if they have any lumber rap scraps from their recent shipments
What I'm calling "lumber wrap" is the stuff that comes on the big packets of lumber as they come the the lumber store. It's like a plastic tarp, but really thin and cheap (as it's intended to be temporary). I think most of the lumber stores will probably give it to you. House wrap is a different thing, but would probably work as well. I was just looking for something cheap to play around with and get the shape correct.

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well tomarrow is saterday with now planes so I'm hopeing that I'll be able to takle this project, and have something on my truck for the comute next week.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
Quote:
Well tomarrow is saterday with now planes so I'm hopeing that I'll be able to takle this project, and have something on my truck for the comute next week.
If you make something, I think we'd all appreciate pictures..and results! Good luck!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So I got it started yesterday but I'll have to finish it up tomarrow hopefully. On the one side of things it's a very crude mock up, but if it gives the results who cares what it looks like. I'll definetly take some pics but not sure when I'll be able to get them posted since I don't have a computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86toypickup For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
So did you go with longitudinal ribs (front to back) or transverse (side to side)? What did you end up using for the ribs?

And don't worry if it doesn't look pretty in the first generation. If you're like me, once you get it build you'll notice a few things that you should hav done differently. You can incorporate those changes into a 2nd generation version that'll look prettier.

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (10-14-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah I went longitudinal with the ribs I'm using 1/2 inch conduit. I looked at PVC but I thought it had too much flex. For the cover I'm useing some canvas that I already had The plywood is already cut and drilled. After work I should be able to just assemble it and secure it to the truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86toypickup For This Useful Post:
Diesel_Dave (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I got it put together and hopfully secured to the truck. I need to find a way to get the canvas streached from side to side, I guess I'll see how it does tomarrow on the drive to work and back. I could find the camera to I couldn't take any pics but once I find it I'll take some and get them posted

Reply  Post New Thread