Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
LOL, not today it won't Quality parts still depend on specific metallurgy and machining and forging and hardening and polishing and annealing and etc....

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
I'd have to have my 320i

useful estate car for load lugging

Back seats folded down you can sleep in it.

Parts availabilty exellent

Runs on 91RON fuel with no issues

Fun to drive.

bingo.

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 12-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steaming View Post
If you had to choose one vehicle to be "yours" for the rest of your life, what would it be? This vehicle you will modify, rebuild, and use for all of your commuting needs.

I may be poking loop holes here, but... My EV VW pickup mentioned above will handle all my commuting needs. Anything beyond that, I'll borrow my wifes {whatever} or drive all the way to the rental lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to hamsterpower For This Useful Post:
Ryland (12-07-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Some of you have actually made a good case for the diesel Monza I have for sale.
It is pre- electronics, parts plentiful, receiver hitch for that cargo trailer, low end torque w rear wheel drive. Enough advertising.

I would have to face those end of America as we know it scenes.

That would probably rule out a gas powered vehicle: I apologize to my beloved '87 CRX!

Diesel means you have many possible fuel options. The older 1.6 VW's offer the best MPG w the best tolerance ( averaging out the 2 subjects) for literally crude fuel options. The newer electronic diesels aren't that adabtable .

So I have to throw my Quantum wagon in there. High 50's mpg, plus roomy, and some towing capacity.
My sporting side wants that 1.6 in a '85 or so Scirocco

I highly tout my '85 6.2 4whlD Suburban. Nearly 30mpg is possible w manual locking hubs. As per Frank, parts should be easy ( if you start to stockpile now)
Good end of the world home w bicycle rack!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Ive actually given this a lot of thought, and I would have to say it would be 1 of two vehicles.
top pick for me, hummer H1 diesel.
yes, I know it gets crap for mileage... BUT, its bio-diesel convertible and if we're talking a wasteland, end of civilization as we know it, scenario. I cant think of any other vehicle Id rather be driving if I need to run down some zombies or something along those lines
plus, it has more than enough room for those supplies mentioned, along with more than enough towing power to haul a decent sized trailer.

if that isnt the scenario and we're just talking a single vehicle to drive/own/repair, it would have to be a Subaru Outback (sorry mazda protege5 !)
the AWD would def come in handy, it can haul a decent sized trailer, and Im pretty sure there are quite a few things to increase its mileage. there might even be (havent looked into it) a diesel engine that would work. if so, well, another bio conversion would be in store

Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Apollo 11 - '02 Dodge Ram 1500

Saphire - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0sitmatr View Post
Ive actually given this a lot of thought, and I would have to say it would be 1 of two vehicles.
top pick for me, hummer H1 diesel.
yes, I know it gets crap for mileage... BUT, its bio-diesel convertible and if we're talking a wasteland, end of civilization as we know it, scenario. I cant think of any other vehicle Id rather be driving if I need to run down some zombies or something along those lines
plus, it has more than enough room for those supplies mentioned, along with more than enough towing power to haul a decent sized trailer.

if that isnt the scenario and we're just talking a single vehicle to drive/own/repair, it would have to be a Subaru Outback (sorry mazda protege5 !)
the AWD would def come in handy, it can haul a decent sized trailer, and Im pretty sure there are quite a few things to increase its mileage. there might even be (havent looked into it) a diesel engine that would work. if so, well, another bio conversion would be in store
The self reliance of the bio-diesel idea is appealing to me, but the more I read about it the more it seems like it will still be a ton of work for an individual to produce and really come out ahead. Unless they have a farm with equipment and the ability/need to grow crops and produce huge batches of the stuff. (Seems like most fast food restaurants are reclaiming their waste vegetable oil so that's not a real long term option. And certainly not one everyone can pursue, as there isn't enough waste oil.)

I'm leaning towards the first generation Honda Insight these days. Maybe ultimately swapping in a small diesel and EV option.

If the zombies invade we'll mount a 50 cal on your hummer and mow them down. We can take my fuel sipper when we take the family out for a picnic. Just ad a hitch + small trailer + several bales of hay for them to sit on.

Meh-- might as well just get a Horse and wagon. Self Replicating Transportation for the WIN
The Following User Says Thank You to Steaming For This Useful Post:
d0sitmatr (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
I agree, I think we should all forget self propelled transportation all together and go back the the days of horse/buggy. with todays roadway infrastructure the way it is, it seems to me to be a viable option. can you imagine the money and fuel resources saved !?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Works for the Amish.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Frank Lee -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'd go for the one that will always have parts support. That means probably something with a small block Chevy engine, or air-cooled VW.
I didn't think of parts for the diesel. A VW bug still has the subculture to keep it going forever. You can buy gorgeous chromed drop-in engines :

Mofoco TurnKey Volkswagen Engines

I guess the same would be true of the Chevy engine. I'd probably feel safer in a Detroit-steel Nova if I have to grow old with it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
My thinking is there are so many aftermarket providers- even more or less globally- you can build a complete car with NO OEM parts. Also they were so popular for so long that almost every garage and shed in America- or, even globally- has some parts for them sitting around.

Now if we included non-motorized things as vehicles I'd have to say my bicycle would be the best Armageddon survival tool. Parts cheap and available, easy to fix, no fuel required as I gotta eat whether I use it or not, and I can easily envision it lasting a lifetime.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Steaming (12-27-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread