Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallover View Post
A little late but e-bikes are awesome. Check out endless-sphere if you want a dedicated e-bike forum. I've logged over 2000 miles in the past 2 years on my bike, albeit the majority of those were just cruising around for fun.

My bike does 35mph, 20mi range when blasting around with traffic at that speed, has 1kwh of LiPo batteries from hobbyking, and puts out over 4kw of power. It does 0-30 in under 7 seconds, which is much faster than traffic.

The electronics on my bike set me back about $1000 and I got a $500 bike to put them on. I think it was worth every penny, as it gets over 20 miles on than $0.10 of electricity. 30 miles is easy if you slow it down some and you can get 40 miles riding it "like an ebike".

more: Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Metallover's Novara Buzz Build
That thing looks wicked! I like it! Just the kind of machine
that I would kill myself with.. Taking a shortcut via the woods..

Yeah, 30 or 40 miles at 12-15 MPH sounds great to me..
I get scared every-time I get up over 18 MPH. I don't like the idea
of getting a flat at those speeds.
My last flat was under 12 MPH. It was the back tire and I still almost lost it.

It's easy to coast down the hills around here and hit 20-25 MPH, but
I'm finding that I'm uneasy about going much over 12 MPH these days.
I'm not sure, but I think these old bones are more breakable now..
(I even drive my Escape slower too. Got 30 MPG city today!)

Maybe when I get to the point where I need help getting up the hills,
a kw of HobbyKing LiPo batteries will be cheaper than they are now.?.

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Focus - '08 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 32.26 mpg (US)
Thanks man!

Right now, with a platinum account, it's $49.99 for a 6s 20c 5ah turnigy pack w/ $0.01 shipping from the USA warehouse and $41.82 from the international warehouse. Lipo battery prices have never been lower, and that particular pack has been this low for probably a year or more now.

I would imagine price would continue to fall, as newer technology is developed and cheaper materials can be used. But, I wouldn't count on lower prices any time soon.

A new Crystalyte motor with an 18s 15+ah Lipo pack and 12fet Lyen controller programmed for more amps would be a GREAT setup for moped-type riding. I run pretty much the same but I've got a 9c with some big cooling holes.

Right now neodymium prices are crazy, and motor prices have gone up significantly. The Chinese market seems to me is a little unstable now. You never know when something's going to happen...
Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I took a small Giant Sedona, attached BionX, put on fenders and a package rack, and handed it over to my wife. She thinks it's powerful, plenty of zip plus some exercise.

Last edited by js miller; 09-13-2011 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: I didn't get the picture uploaded correctly
Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A good site to visit is motoredbikes.com. Mostly gas conversions but a lot of technical stuff on their, and a few ebikes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom309Returns For This Useful Post:
js miller (11-03-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have an E-bike in case anybody needs one...

(Socal)
Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I agree that riding under your own power is a way of maintaining fitness. We have been commuting 12 miles a day all summer, about 45 minutes. I have lost 20+ pounds in 3 months. My wife went down 20. My longest ride this summer has been 44 miles 3 or 4 times. I used to ride 5000 or more a year. We live on a hill and it about a 90 foot climb to get home. I am 60 years old. I have several bikes that I use I made a trailer 5 years ago to haul objects to and from the office. It is a clever little thing made from two bicycle forks and a bit of pipe.

I just built a new trailer last week. I should get an article written up on it. My new trailer has a 54x27" platform. I made it from square tubing that doesnt cantilever the wheels like the small trailer does. We are going to use it to haul wood up from ravines on our farm with a dirt motorcycle. The same trailer can be used on my bicycle if I have the energy to pull it into town. I like the idea of electrifying it. I have a dc motor would need a controller and a freewheel. Just drive one wheel. It wouldn't have to be particularly powerful just enough to push itself loaded.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 09-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My Giant Revive happens to be my favorite ebike conversion I've done, its a semi-recumbent, not a great bike without the hub motor but once I added a front hub motor and 18Ah of batteries its a lot of fun, One thing I that should be mentioned, a torque arm is really important for operator safety, and hub motors should never be installed on aluminum or suspension forks! I would highly recommend converting a Giant Revive. Mine is a first generation with funky wheels and an enclosed chain with a 7 speed internal hub. I'm looking for a newer Revive so I can create a 2 wheel drive version. The batteries are 8 Bosch 36volt lithium manganese oxide tool packs, (4 in each rear side bag) with a 22 Amp controller. The kit was purchased from ebikekit.com. The conversion is about a year old and has been modified and fine tuned, it has a range of +20 miles.
Im sorry I was not able to post a link or pictures of my Revive.
I hope this was helpful

Steve
Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BionX is nice. I like the battery low on the bike, bc it's better for the center of gravity. I'll post a pic soon.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hopefully this will be the pic of Sedona
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Max - '01 Nissan Maxima 20th Anniversary Ed.
90 day: 28.6 mpg (US)
lemme get in on this and add that i too built an e-bike this summer and used it to commute to work and back (24km one way)

its a "performance setup" running 75V (18S) and can hit 80km/h....has enough juice that at 45km/h average speed i can make it to work and back.

i also used hobby king lipos as they are by far the cheapest source of batteries.

Reply  Post New Thread