Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Search Bike Nashbar or Performance Bike. They carry an air horn with a refillable compressed air tank. Not quite a train horn but a definite attention getter.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
I have a 30W Niterider system (old school from ebay) that runs off the water cage style battery. It rivals old cars with badly yellowed plastic on their headlights.

I also picked up some Nitrerider rear 5 led tail lights. 2 of the led's throw their light to the side for better visibility. I figured getting hit was worse than paying $10 for a decent tail light.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
I mounted a 55w fog light (yes, one for a car) on the handlebar of my bike last year. Ran speaker wire from it to a 12v hobby battery bungeed around my frame.

I never actually got a chance to see how long it lasted, it was a 7Ah battery though, and I rode at least 45 minutes with it once. Only had a cheap float charger for it though so it took like a week to charge.

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Old 11-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
I'm beginning to think I need a train horn on my bike...
AirZound II airhorn.
Best $30 you'll ever spend if you live around maniacal drivers who think that "share the road" doesn't apply to intersections.

While I personally find it very difficult to skimp on anything bicycle related. I'll NEVER skimp on lights, especially blinkies.
My personal faves are the Planetbike Superflash rear blinkie. (the old style red-lensed ones are on closeout at Nashbar for like $20)

Headlights are definately more in the realm of personal preference, but I go with one high-powered "to see" light and one smaller blinky "to be seen" light.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Last week I picked up the Planet Bike "Beamer" set and am pleased with them, I have friends who have the SuperFlash, and if I end up doing alot of riding at night I'll get one of those, they are impossible to miss with the alternating bright and SUPER bright flashes, I think head lights on bikes can almost be picked out by their quality of mounting, because if it keeps falling off then it's not doing you any good and if you can't get to the battery then it's just dead weight and if the battery goes dead quickly or is something so rare that you can't find a new one then don't buy it!
I would like to see a mounting bracket for the common mag light flashlights then use the LED mag light, you can also get front hubs with a mini dynamo to power lights, I've seen this done with Christmas tree lights on a bike, but it would work great with LED lights and a small capacitor to keep it going while you are stopped.
I've also thought about getting an LED bulb replacement for the old school bike head lights, nice chrome bucket, small dynamo that rubs on the wheel, nice bright LED light.

Reply  Post New Thread