Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Okay. This is way-cool. But are these claims all believable? Specific claims like this from another modder or from someone hawking a product on this site we would all rightly question. What about with Chevy? How do they arrive at these figures? Recently Ford claimed better aero for one of its vehicles than, I think, the Prius, but their Cd number for the Prius was different than Toyota's (higher, surprise surprise). Such variation raises the question of the "objectivity" of industry self-reporting of these results and how they may be manipulated for marketing, no?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 12-14-2011 at 04:22 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
d0sitmatr (12-15-2011), jime57 (12-15-2011), Sven7 (12-14-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...good point, so is it: (a) real propaganda or (b) ficticious propaganda?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Does anybody else find the 0.35 of the old malibu and 0.29 of the new one pathetic?
If that's 0.29 for the ECO version, it's really pathetic.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Okay. This is way-cool. But are these claims all believable? Specific claims like this from another modder or from someone hawking a product on this site we would all rightly question. What about with Chevy? How do they arrive at these figures?
Those figures seem to be in check. My hunch is that such figures are backed by a methodical and scientific process, except that the Cd of .29 is deceiving considering that 15 years ago, the Passat IV had a Cd of .27, without the implementation of such mods.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Okay. This is way-cool. But are these claims all believable? Specific claims like this from another modder or from someone hawking a product on this site we would all rightly question. What about with Chevy? How do they arrive at these figures? Recently Ford claimed better aero for one of its vehicles than, I think, the Prius, but their Cd number for the Prius was different than Toyota's (higher, surprise surprise). Such variation raises the question of the "objectivity" of industry self-reporting of these results and how they may be manipulated for marketing, no?
Wind tunnels are like dynos; each one gives a different reading.

That said, I'd believe the claims of an outfit with a windtunnel(s) and a staff of professionals running it over... well... anyone else.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
If that's 0.29 for the ECO version, it's really pathetic.
Well, I think one must put this is perspective. The stars, the Insights, Audi, and Prius, are slightly better. But it seems to me that .29 is a pretty good number for a large family sedan which must meet a broad audience. Lets give them a little credit. At least they are honestly trying and lets give them some credit for that. It doesn't seem pathetic to me at all

I was surprised that they gained fewer points working the rear of the car than the front. That is counter to much of what we here believe.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
I was surprised that they gained fewer points working the rear of the car than the front. That is counter to much of what we here believe.
Me too. If we believe their numbers, there's quite a bit to be gained up front. Though in fairness, nobody here really argues that there's nothing to be gained up front, just that there's more in the back.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Well, I think one must put this is perspective. The stars, the Insights, Audi, and Prius, are slightly better. But it seems to me that .29 is a pretty good number for a large family sedan which must meet a broad audience. Lets give them a little credit. At least they are honestly trying and lets give them some credit for that. It doesn't seem pathetic to me at all
The larger and longer the car it easier it is to get a very low CD number. 0.29 in a small hatchback is a lot more impressive. 0.29 in a large sedan is pathetic.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
They brag as if .29 is something extraordinary. GM pulled a .29 ( point .299 to be exact ) from a 1989 Grand Prix.

The Lexus LS430 is a full size family car, yet gets a slick point twenty five drag coefficient.

Seems to me the guys at GM aren't trying very hard !

Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
They brag as if .29 is something extraordinary. GM pulled a .29 ( point .299 to be exact ) from a 1989 Grand Prix.

The Lexus LS430 is a full size family car, yet gets a slick point twenty five drag coefficient.

Seems to me the guys at GM aren't trying very hard !

Well, I thank that Frank said it best. "Wind tunnels, like chassis dynos, deliver different results in different hands," (i.e. particularly when marketing is involved - I'm giving GM a bit of credit for publishing a numer that I find credible. (BTW, I'm very well informed on chassis dynos.) Aren't any of you guys suspicious enough to recognize that a corporate marketing types just "might" set up some really good numbers for his car, that an independent organization could not duplicate? Tell me just how you would know?

When I look at the Lexus you picture, I don't see .25, given Hucho, Phil, and the general tone of the discussion here. I don't doubt that Lexus quoted the number, but having done some tuft testing on the rear of my Gen1 Insight, I can feel pretty darn sure that the flow on that back window is DETACHED. I can't see the actual contours very well from this picture. It would be nice to have plann&profile views. Apparently some manufacturers gain a bit by tapering the rear plan view. Can't tell whether Lexus did that.
Anyway, I'm done with it. There is no genuine independent information available, that I am aware of, and relieance on manufacturer's claims is highly questionable.

This a circular, and largely useless, argument. Non of us have any factual independent information on what the real Cd would be on any of these cars. There are numerous opportunities to distort the data, in this day where simple single numbers prevail.

The Following User Says Thank You to jime57 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (12-16-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread