Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
People only think they drive 65 (or 75, or whatever). That's not a reality, but a target speed that gets hit for brief times under ideal circumstances. The rest of the time is spent accelerating to it, hitting the brakes when someone changes lanes badly, accelerating again, hitting the brakes when an on ramp comes in, etc. Your target speed is never going to be your average speed. Commutes on the highway are really just stop & go at higher speeds. Adjusting the target speed downward has the stated benefits that lower speed gets you, but it's also attainable and predictable- your drive will be smoother and actually at your target speed if your target speed doesn't require you to fight your way through the crowd.

A LOT of truth here and certainly worth mentioning. Driving steady at a slightly slower speed will cost you next to nothing verses the up and down speed game. There have been more instances than I can count where a 'rabbit' blows by me, then get's caught up in traffic and slams on the brakes, then speeds off again, then has to stop for that left-turner, then stops on the gas again, and all the while I cruise along never having to vary my speed more than 5mph for changing traffic and after 10-20mi of this I end up where the 'rabbit' is only 15-20sec. behind. The actual 'cost' of driving slower is probably only like 25% of what the 'math' says it will be because you are often time not able to maintain that higher target speed due to outside influences. The difference is often greater, or sometimes reversed (slower = LESS time), when you start talking in-town as timing lights and setting a maintainable pace can actually SAVE time over the course of a trip.

The Following User Says Thank You to CAPTAIN CHAOS For This Useful Post:
OG VX (12-09-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
Here's an outline of what I'd like to say in a similar situation:

Get their attention: "There are ways to drive to work in the same time while using less fuel."

That leads into timing traffic lights, different routes, DWL, and mild coasting at exits and stop signs. Also timing stop signs: "If there's six cars backed up at a stop sign, back off the gas and try to arrive as the last car is leaving. Burn less gas and get to the stop sign at the same time".

The close by something like: "I have discussed techniques that decrease your fuel costs without changing the time it takes to drive. There are also more advanced techniques that save more fuel at the expense of time. Those are a topic for another time".

Keep in mind that your target audience generally believes that the only way to save gas is "drive like a grandma", annoy everybody else on the road, and take forever to get there.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
OG VX (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gigi - '13 Kia Forte EX Eco
90 day: 31.64 mpg (US)

Charlie - STi - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
90 day: 23.03 mpg (US)
I always like to also relate to those who consider themselves to be "performance minded".

Ask the question, "What is performance?" When we're dealing with cars, is this how fast it goes? How well it handles corners? How quickly it can accelerate? All of those are going to be standard on the car regardless of who is driving because those are the results of the construction of the car. You could mention bolt-on performance if you want. Depends on the audience whether or not they might be offended by that.**

Then bring up the point of what about the driver? Is performance a measure of the car or the driver behind the wheel? When we're talking about efficiency, fuel-economy, hypermiling, ecomodding, or whatever name you want to give it, THAT type of performance comes down to the driver, I think (of course, some car engines are more efficient than others). Then you can really dive off into the gaming aspect of it as some people have wonderfully and skillfully posted above me.

Separate from hypermiling, on aero-mods (all of our underpanels, airdams, lowering, diffusers, boattails, spoilers, etc), I like to make the point that by making aero-mods, my engine works less than the same car without aero-mods, and thus can put out more power and speed going forward instead of wasting that power fighting the air resistance created by increased speeds. Or as I like to say, more bang for your boooooooost! (my car has a tiny turbo lol)

Hope you didn't bite off more than you can chew and spit out in 4 - 6 minutes!!

**My disclaimer: yes, of course, driving at high speeds and not crashing (assuming no outside factors) requires great skill (performance) of the driver and the car. The car has to have the parts to go super fast and the driver must have the skills to "perform" at such speeds.

Last edited by Eastwood; 12-09-2014 at 03:44 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eastwood For This Useful Post:
OG VX (12-09-2014), PaleMelanesian (12-10-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
hypermiling speech

The more you can speak without using any notes, the better.

Keep it simple and have fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to j12piprius For This Useful Post:
OG VX (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
This stuff is great guys! Thanks so much!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I like Fat Charlie's example. And to note:

I'm a racer. As in, a red mist, "me first" racer of the worst kind. At least, I was, in my younger days (emphasis on "er", haven't hit the big midlife crisis yet!). What really got me into hypermiling... or, at least, not driving like an absolute idiot... is the observation that I could race the other guy without actually speeding. Keeping to a target speed and observing the "rabbits", seeing where they get stuck or get through easily, helps you decide which lane to take in order to preserve momentum. This means you use less gas without having to lose time, and that idiot tailgating the minivan at 80 mph gets to see your smug face as you pull in to the toll booth / exit ramp before he does.

Once you get used to it, preserving momentum becomes a game in itself, and eventually it just clicks that if you drive a bit slower, it gets even easier to preserve it.
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
OG VX (12-09-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
The rabbits may hit a higher top speed, but they don't get to work any sooner- and more of their work time is spent earning gas money, so overall that's a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
niky (12-11-2014), OG VX (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
How did the speech go?
Old 12-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
The rabbits may hit a higher top speed, but they don't get to work any sooner- and more of their work time is spent earning gas money, so overall that's a loss.
This is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
How did the speech go?
Unfortunately, our meeting room got double-booked, so the meeting was cancelled. We plan to meet this coming Tuesday. So, I have a few more days to prepare
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #30 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
results

Have you given the speech?

Reply  Post New Thread