Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
NEW Rear diffuser!!

Still a work in progress! Anyways, wasn't having much luck with the coroplast one. So onto making a better, more proper angled one as well.

Started out by Hacking the Exhaust. (possibly voiding my Warranty)
I have been planning on doing this for a while though.
*Please, Do this at your own Judgment/Risk*

Doing this opened up a simpler route to mounting and managing an Exit Vent for air and exhaust...

You can see, I had built a sorta box-frame to mount everything too. With the intent of lowering/closer to the ground, as well as decreasing its angle.

That all done, Paneling next. Used Recycled PVC Roofing 2'x8' sheet material.

^^^Not quite sure what to do about the overhang just yet. Leave rolled up the side like i have, or bend it downward creating a channel?!

I still have the area between the wheels to smooth up, for continued attached flow.

All in all, it doesnt look too bad, the green sticks out, and the wood obviously doesnt belong there, will paint soon to look less conspicuous...

It does work, How well, I'm not entirely sure, Just know when coasting, is a bit longer, and i gain speed faster going down the same hills in my area. I'm pretty pleased on this.

Note that i have stated I hadn't noticed any changes in a previous post of mine... I can actually say, my gf still needs a huge amount of time to learn efficient, consistant driving... She is main driver of it, but when i get into it, i raise the MPG back up to ~40mpg...

I stole my car back, and did my own (just me) controlled test. Including that, Max sidewall psi in tires, conservative grill block, and the new Diffuser. Over the course of ~10gallons this last week was able to achieve 46.5mpg (about 25% city and Max of 65mph on hiwy)

Last edited by RiderofBikes; 06-02-2012 at 09:09 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #52 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
How much did you pay for this car ?
Why not just get a used Prius ?
( just sayin' )

You are much smarter than I am, so please tell me how that the wood you have touching your exhaust is not going to set your car on fire.

I wish I had your carefree attitude, since I care too much about what people think. ( thumbs-up )

Not trying to come off as offensive .

Last edited by Cd; 06-02-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Old 06-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #53 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

When are you going to add a boattail ?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
How much did you pay for this car ?
Why not just get a used Prius ?
( just sayin' )

You are much smarter than I am, so please tell me how that the wood you have touching your exhaust is not going to set your car on fire.

I wish I had your carefree attitude, since I care too much about what people think. ( thumbs-up )

Not trying to come off as offensive .
Still paying on it.. Used Prius' would of cost me about the same, + "used factor" and my Credit Union wouldn't finance me on it based on the prices compared to NADA. Plus none available at time of this purchase. Dumb decision really, should of bought me a used civic or something. cheap... A TDI would of been my first choice, but not abundant enough around here.

The prius thing is from a coworker, cause thats what he thought it was when i had the rear skirts on it. I did it to remind him its a party

The Headers id be worried about... the "less-fart" Can/exhaust air inside is already cooled down enough that it wont do anything to the wood. our flesh or other plastics are different story tho. The plastic is far enough away that it wont be affected also.

Not Care Free one bit, just young and stupid, I love this car, I enjoy it much and letting people see it. It is after all, still a Car. This while ridiculous in most cases, is nothing worse than beat up ricers of today.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
When are you going to add a boattail ?
There is one planned. Working out the hardest part of Mounting it tho.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

G-sux (Sold) - '06 Pontiac G6 GT
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Conda (Sold) - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 51.52 mpg (US)

Honda - '21 Honda Accord Touring
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)
I appreciate your efforts, very creative. I never seem to get out of the planning stages, but you jump in with both feet. I like the wood work too. Right now I think the most important thing now is to get your gf lined out. Then you can get good tank numbers as opposed to trip numbers.

Keep it up!
The Following User Says Thank You to Iexpedite For This Useful Post:
RiderofBikes (06-05-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #57 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
I worry about the exhaust being able to get away from the underside of your car when at a stop. If you had a leak of some kind in the trunk it could make its way into the cabin area.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
I worry about the exhaust being able to get away from the underside of your car when at a stop. If you had a leak of some kind in the trunk it could make its way into the cabin area.
I thought about this as well when i was under the car, no vents that i could see in a way that this would happen without some unknown forces helping along.. Using my trusty nose to tell me if something needs to be attended too. so far so good tho.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iexpedite View Post
I appreciate your efforts, very creative. I never seem to get out of the planning stages, but you jump in with both feet. I like the wood work too. Right now I think the most important thing now is to get your gf lined out. Then you can get good tank numbers as opposed to trip numbers.

Keep it up!

The only thing that'll get me to stop doing anything is lack of will power and $$... I dont always have a plan and most of time i mess something up. ive been conservative on this all the way. But, i don't know what works or doesnt until its actually done.

OH, and......... For all you Fiesta owners, learn from me.. do not mix diesel/gas at any rate. the computer wont like you, and it leaves a bad bad residue out the pipe... Dummy Light popped on after 3days (about 1:7 ratio) gonna run this through first and pull the O2 censors out and clean them by next week if it doesnt clear up on its own(hopefully).
Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #60 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderofBikes View Post
I thought about this as well when i was under the car, no vents that i could see in a way that this would happen without some unknown forces helping along.. Using my trusty nose to tell me if something needs to be attended too. so far so good tho.
By the time you smell the odor , there is going to be quite a bit of carbon monoxide in the car.
Might be wise to purchase a battery powered carbon monoxide detector.

I'm still worried about that wood catching on fire !

Why not leave a gap of at the very least 2 - 3" ? Or better yet not have that wood anywhere near the exhaust !

I looks like it weighs quite a bit for what little gain you may get - even if it is eventually attached to a flat bellypan.

Last edited by Cd; 06-04-2012 at 10:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
RiderofBikes (06-04-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread