Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

AX - '95 Citröen AX

307 - '04 Peugeot 307 SW
I confirm that the Ecocontact 5 is one the best currently (maybe along with some others also in cat. B). They will be my next tires in 165/70 R14.
If you can wait a bit, A-rated tires should be released in 2013 :
-Toyo Nanoenergy
-Bridgestone Ecopia EP001S
-Pirelli Cinturato P7 Blue
-Hankook Kinergy Eco

Search for some European online website. You'll be able to browse among the tires and sort by price/RR.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
I just got some Toyo's and they flat out SUCK. I wish I never got them. I had falcons before them and I was getting 3 more mpg.

I wish I got the michelins. I listened to the tire guy instead of doing my own research and now will pay for it the next few years being stuck with the crap tires I have. I will prolly end up selling these rims and tires and go back to steelies and get some michelins.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
"The new Hakkapeliitta R has the lowest rolling resistance..."

"...of any tire in Nokian Tyres product line."

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

The guy who won the Hypermiler challenge in upstate New York ran Nokian Hakkapeliitta R during dry conditions.

http://ecomodder.com/blog/20-yearold...l-economy-run/

But, here is what basjoos found out though...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post169405

Naske, I don't know how they compare all around the world, but seeing that you may be able to find them easier in your part of the world, they maybe are worth looking into?

They seem hard to get where I live, I would have to mail order them... no one in the Detroit area even heard of Nokian brand tires so far...

Last edited by MetroMPG; 10-25-2012 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: added link to blog post about Chang's CRX
The Following User Says Thank You to WesternStarSCR For This Useful Post:
Naske (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

WesternStarSCR - Nokian winter tires are easy to get here in northern Europe. Every shop has them because they get excellent score in winter tire tests, both the studded Hakkapeliitta 7 and the non-studded Hakkapeliitta R. The Hakka R always score excellent on rolling resistance compared to other friction tires.

This is my second season driving with non-studded tires. Compared to my summer tires(Uniroyal), the Hakka´s feel like they need more throttle to keep their speed(this is on semi-dry road, wet road and snow). They have a very soft rubber compound and make more road noise compared to summer tires.

Maybe these tires are very good on dry conditions, but I would need a scan gauge to determine that. I will buy one on a later stage, but I´m not sure if it works with the OBD-II on Volvo 850´s from 1996-97. My elm327 can´t read the OBD-II signal, so I´m sceptical.
The Following User Says Thank You to Naske For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (10-28-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternStarSCR View Post
They seem hard to get where I live, I would have to mail order them... no one in the Detroit area even heard of Nokian brand tires so far...
Try grismer tire. I know they have stores in Cincinnati, Dayton and Columbus, OH. Maybe further north too. The sware by Nokian.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypermilerAX View Post
I confirm that the Ecocontact 5 is one the best currently (maybe along with some others also in cat. B). They will be my next tires in 165/70 R14.
If you can wait a bit, A-rated tires should be released in 2013 :
-Toyo Nanoenergy
-Bridgestone Ecopia EP001S
-Pirelli Cinturato P7 Blue
-Hankook Kinergy Eco

Search for some European online website. You'll be able to browse among the tires and sort by price/RR.
Just a reminder of these new european tyre marks A,B,C... labels.

It is at the moment purely on tyre manufacturers job to put those marks on their tires. So there are no penaties etc if tires don`t meet the labels they have. This same flaw goes with other european fuel consumption figures. They can be off up to 40%. Reason in the fuel consumption data errors lies in cars Cd values which also got from manufacturers...

So still in the future I will only trust results from tyre tests if you want to get lowest rolling resistance tires or best overall handling tires.

Still at the moment best LRR tires are according to winter tire tests Nokian Hakkapeliitta R. Miclelin XI2 is close second. You also have to consider that they usually test just some tire size and results may varie between sizes.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
The Following User Says Thank You to Vekke For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

AX - '95 Citröen AX

307 - '04 Peugeot 307 SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekke View Post
It is at the moment purely on tyre manufacturers job to put those marks on their tires. So there are no penaties etc if tires don`t meet the labels they have.
Even if, you will still be able to compare one tire to another because they all measured according to CE rule n°1222/2009.

Quote:
This same flaw goes with other european fuel consumption figures. They can be off up to 40%. Reason in the fuel consumption data errors lies in cars Cd values which also got from manufacturers...
Not if you drive like the cycle they are tested on. I've always had much lower consumptions than the manufacturer ones. I'm 34% below with my AX, without major ecomod.

Quote:
Still at the moment best LRR tires are according to winter tire tests Nokian Hakkapeliitta R. Miclelin XI2 is close second. You also have to consider that they usually test just some tire size and results may varie between sizes.
Then why isn't it mounted on all low consumption cars ? I've never heard of these tires...

Ecocontact5 165/70 R14 : cat B
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R 155/65 R14 : cat C

If you can prove me wrong...
Old 10-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
You can still drive to lower fuel consumption that the eu tests proves that it still can be off up to 40% like I mentioned before. Car manufacturer gives the Cd value for the tests and some test facility does the tests on the car.

On the tires I believe at the moment the tire manufacturer does the test in their own laboratory and stamps the results in the tires as they like. No one confirms those values at the moment. There is a company in Finland which will start to test those tires in their independed laboratory.

Reason why you cannot find Nokian tires on any cars OEM tire is that putting their tires to first installation tires is not very good business for manufacturers. You get much better ROI from selling only to aftermaket sector. Also German and France like to buy the tires from closer and their own couyntry so its hard to compete with them with those small margins.

I am not saying that continental ecocontact 5 is not a good overall tire it sure is. I will not believe that its the best LRR tire out there. Reasons for that is many. In general winter tires have better rolling resistance factors. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R has won (or in some tests come second) the LRR tire test in the last four years in a row in many car magazines.

Why it is not in every hypermilers car is still unclear for me. That I know that almost every winning hypermiler racers use the all aroung the world. One reason can be that they havent never heard about the Nokian tires.

I try to find some tire tests from last summer to see how good the ecocontact 5 did on LRR test section.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 10-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I know we're looking for lowest LRR here but does anyone know where to find actual data on rolling resistance measurements? I think LRR designation means it tested below 0.008 in some test, but other than that designation there's no way of telling how tires compare...

The reason I ask is, well, grip and comfort matter for a tire too :P
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Sorry, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
....I think LRR designation means it tested below 0.008 in some test.....
Sorry, but LRR has no industry definition and the way it is used means that the tire with that designation has lower RR compared to other similar tires - meaning same wear and traction characteristics.

So you can have tires that have terrible RR, but because they are better than "similar tires", they would be designated LRR.

It pays to be careful when buying tires.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (10-29-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread