Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #61 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
It's a regular torque converter automatic, built to take high torque loads. It's not going to be as frail as a CVT or a DCT in the same application.
You know, some folks are just addicted to shift the gears manually.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Oh goody!

No manual transmissions. Just a complex, expensive, frail, and inefficient automatic.

DPF and urea injection. Both roundly hated by diesel owners.

No thank you.
To me, diesel is simple, efficient, reliable and SIMPLE. You put something in, it compresses and ignites and the engine runs. All of the electronics, Urea injection ... DEF "burnoff cycles" that end up significantly lowering the average miles ... that just ruin the appeal of a diesel.

I'm noticing that most newer work trucks are gasjobs.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
You know, some folks are just addicted to shift the gears manually.
Pointless with these new six-plus speed gearboxes and diesels.

Modern turbodiesels have so much power over such a short rev range that you either slot into a higher gear right away to avoid shifting, or shift a lot to keep your target acceleration. The 6AT in the Cruze isn't terrific (but then, that's common with all Cruze's), but it allows you to waffle along on the torque pretty well.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #64 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

I might confess I'm not so excited about shifting gears in urban traffic. I dislike the clutch pedal

You might remember, when European cars were already getting fitted with 4-speed transmissions to overcome their lower torque, bigger American cars with their comparatively massive engines retained even the archaic 3-on-the-tree. After all, no more than 4 gears would be required for a Cruze Diesel in my hometown
Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Interesting thread....as one of the few who have owned a Chevette diesel, I can say that you're comparing apples to Polar Bears, or something as apt. Remember the Chevette did not have an A/C compressor so it could maintain freeway speeds, mine put down a whopping 37.5hp to the wheels when I tested it. BUT, I did get 59.6mpg (never could break 60!) driving 55mph. You think 148hp is weak, try getting stomped by a Prius stoplight to stoplight.

Anyways, I've found diesel to be 1-4% higher over 87 here if you're willing to shop around. The only issue that I have with the Cruze is that the Passat gets 51mpg, in a bigger and heavier car. Either with big Aero and skinny tires could get 60+ I think. And, the general public doesn't care at all about shifting gears any more, sad to say.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #66 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
I, too, briefly owned a 1981 Chevette with the NA Izusu diesel engine, except the local dealership HAD installed an A/C unit on my car (contrary to GM warnings about "loading" the engine at idle would void the warranty).

I didn't own it long enough to test its fuel economy, as the dealership & GMAC "bought it back" when I questioned them about the A/C installation versus the GM warning about loading the engine at idle and GM Warranty. Only had the car maybe a month.

Back then, diesel was only about 85¢ per gallon, and even 'cheaper' down in Mexico.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Shame. Always found those cars fascinating. I sometimes pass a house in a nearby subdivision that has several of these parked out front. Some sort of restoration project.

Really popular as taxis back in the day. Cheap as chips to run.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #68 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Shame. Always found those cars fascinating. I sometimes pass a house in a nearby subdivision that has several of these parked out front. Some sort of restoration project.

Really popular as taxis back in the day. Cheap as chips to run.
I also like the Chevette. Too bad there are not too many cheap RWD compact cars nowadays.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MetroScoopy - '09 CHF50 Honda Metropolitan 50cc
90 day: 97.98 mpg (US)

Training Shoe - '99 Hyundai Hyundai Atoz Prime 797cc
90 day: 31.28 mpg (US)
By buddy had a diesel Tempo that did 48-50 mpg all day long. It put out just 34.2 hp to the wheels with that ancient (even for then) Mazda RF motor. Road trips though to Vegas were seriously done for $10 though with the pedal to the floor at 75 mph. Gotta love it.

I personally am excited to FINALLY see another diesel enter the US market that isn't a VW, or BMW, Merc, etc. Also, the Cruze is a very good looking car to boot, so hopefully this catches on. I love diesels (I have two myself in Cambodia), one of them a big heavy Range Rover and it still gets 24 mpg US and has over 320 ft/lbs of torque. You just can't beat that in my opinion, and the AJDV6 motor is smooth as silk.

Hopefully GM doesn't screw the market up for a compact diesel and make it abysmally reliable.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #70 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

I still believe GM would push for a better cost-effectiveness if the Isuzu-designed 1.7CDTi engine also available for the Euro-spec Cruze was chosen for the US-spec instead of the 2.0L sourced from VM Motori. And we might not forget Isuzu always had higher scores regarding reliability than VM Motori.

Reply  Post New Thread