Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

- - '10 Toyota Prius III w/Navi
Hi Metro,

Try it. You can always take it off. If you hear less noise at high speed from the A pillar, and upper third of the front window, its probably working.

I was thinking about uses 3m Dual Lock I had left over from relocating the I-PASS transponder into my car a few years ago. At least until edbso had his good result. Here is a link to the Dual Lock http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/superlock.htm .

Take a look at this if you missed edbso's stuff: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rs-1209-2.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
We have Tread Tape at work for the slippery areas.
Think 10 grit sandpaper with adhesive backing, the opposite of dimples.
What say you for that as a way of keeping the air laminar around the A pillars and down the rear?
It does not keep the air laminar. It keeps it attached where it would otherwise seperate. By all means try it. Tape some tufts of yarn to the body and see if you can tell the difference before/after the sandpaper.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Blue - '77 Chevy P/U
Quote:
Originally Posted by donee View Post
Hi Metro,

Try it. You can always take it off. If you hear less noise at high speed from the A pillar, and upper third of the front window, its probably working.

I was thinking about uses 3m Dual Lock I had left over from relocating the I-PASS transponder into my car a few years ago. At least until edbso had his good result. Here is a link to the Dual Lock http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/superlock.htm .

Take a look at this if you missed edbso's stuff: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rs-1209-2.html
never used,,,,
Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Fit - '08 Honda Fit Sport
hey guys Aerohead has the best explaination IMO. Turbulent boundary layers are on the scale of 10x the skin friction of laminar boundary layers but stay attached longer due to more momentum close to the surface... There is a critical Reynolds number that estimates when the flow trips from laminar to turbulent naturally. I believe this number is roughly 4 million for a flate plate. I wouldn't be surprised to see turbulent flow from the hood back. Boundary layers are very thin. I would try producing a thick turbulent layer before any adverse pressure gradients.

I borrowed this image from a google search of CFD car:

I can see where the vortices may form coming around the front windshield with sharp pressure difference in the column and side window.

Check out the Cp. Very interesting. I need to find the thread I was arguing about the stagnation point on the front of cars
Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

- - '10 Toyota Prius III w/Navi
Hi noeryan,

I based my explanation on observation of yarn taped to the front side windows with and without a turbulator tape on the upper third of the A pillar. Without a turbulator, they fluttered. In your graphic, you can see some flow that is not in line with the slip stream just there. As its a static graphic, there is no saying that flow is not fluttering around.

With the turbulator tape on the upper third of the A-pillar, in still air, the yarn flowed straight back and was steady. But with an off-axis wind the down-wind side yarn would flutter even with the tubulator.

Reply  Post New Thread