Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #41 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
This is a little bit more on the difficult side, but has anyone attempted to inset their front wheels more? The less they stick out when turning, the better a front skirt would work.

This could be accomplished with wheels with a different offset, there is usually an inch or so that the wheel and tire can move inward towards the strut before hitting the spring perch. With the installation of coil-overs (or the kits that switch to standard 2.5" springs allowing you to cut the perch) the lower spring perch becomes less of an issue and you just have to make sure the wheel will not hit inside the wheel well. At smaller sizes like 12-14", even getting wheels custom made to a specific offset is not all that expensive.

Craziness would be shortening the drive shafts and steering rack and relocating the suspension pick-up points!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

That would be next to impossible; because it would affect every suspension piece, steering geometry, stability -- not to mention on front wheel drive cars, the CV joints and drive shafts. If it is possible, then it would be prohibitively difficult and expensive.

It would be far easier to expand the body outward.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #43 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
That would be next to impossible; because it would affect every suspension piece, steering geometry, stability -- not to mention on front wheel drive cars, the CV joints and drive shafts. If it is possible, then it would be prohibitively difficult and expensive.
Are you talking about the part where I said "craziness"... yeah it would be.

It'd be a lot easier if you found wheels that were 13x6 with a +20mm offset where you had some 13x6 +5mm offset wheels. That would cleanly move the tire inward a little more than half an inch. Should be nearly no change in vehicle dynamics with 4 new wheels, otherwise understeer would be increased minimally with narrower track up front. Some car manufacturers use wheels with much more/less offset than others.

Just a small thing someone could pursue if they were so inclined!
Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Impossible? Hmm. Not familiar with the term.
If you have an understanding of suspension and steering, it's quite do-able. But it would be a major project. And have you seen MetroMPG's welding skills? Just raggin' on ya, MetroMPG.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Changing the front wheel offset on a FWD will change the SCRUB RADIUS which can have a major detrimental effect on steering performance.

Stretched Tire Look, Scrub Radius and Wheel Spacing - Guide To Proper Honda Wheel Offset - Honda Tuning Magazine
Old 10-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
...yet another way to do it would be to use pink or blue styrofoam from your local home improvement store. Cut, carve, and sand it to shape, then paint it with some latex paint. THEN fiberglass over that. The latex paint keeps the polyester resin from attacking the foam. Then remove the foam mechanically (grinding/sanding/ripping/tearing) or dissolve it with your favorite environmentally-unfriendly chemical.
Here is a web page that shows you a basic "how to" on using foam/fiberglass for construction. I think it looks so easy I may even try it!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
New concept in front wheel skirts

I had an idea for a totally different and possibly sleeker version of front wheel skirts. I thought I'd post it here because I don't know if it is worth its own thread.

The idea is to use a stretchable fabric like spandex to flush-cover the wheel openings. Then, a frame is build around the wheel, attached at the knuckle/caliper (non-rotating assembly that turns with the wheel). As the wheel turns, the frame will push the stretchable cover outward. This would maintain a very smooth body shape, possibly even with attached flow the whole way.

The material would have to be climate-suitable. Maybe a stretchable neoprene would be an option?

If you've seen the BMW Concept "GINA", you'll get what I mean:

GINA

If this is worth a more lengthy discussion, mods feel free to create a thread.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraBall View Post
Changing the front wheel offset on a FWD will change the SCRUB RADIUS which can have a major detrimental effect on steering performance.

Stretched Tire Look, Scrub Radius and Wheel Spacing - Guide To Proper Honda Wheel Offset - Honda Tuning Magazine
Good to know. Major problems come from pushing the tires out and making the scrub radius positive, typically.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
stretchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
I had an idea for a totally different and possibly sleeker version of front wheel skirts. I thought I'd post it here because I don't know if it is worth its own thread.

The idea is to use a stretchable fabric like spandex to flush-cover the wheel openings. Then, a frame is build around the wheel, attached at the knuckle/caliper (non-rotating assembly that turns with the wheel). As the wheel turns, the frame will push the stretchable cover outward. This would maintain a very smooth body shape, possibly even with attached flow the whole way.

The material would have to be climate-suitable. Maybe a stretchable neoprene would be an option?

If you've seen the BMW Concept "GINA", you'll get what I mean:

GINA

If this is worth a more lengthy discussion, mods feel free to create a thread.
On their Probe-IV concept,Ford used a complete inner fender which moved with the wheel,and in turn,deformed a stretchable urethane membrane which covered the entire wheel-well opening.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Have you priced urethane sheets these days? $$$$