Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Ecomodded myself out of a car! (How to save even more money)

Here are my tips, learned from experience after four years with Ecomodder, on simplifying your life, saving a lot of money, and ultimately selling your car. I still have my F-100 and plan to keep that for the long term, but it does not serve general transportation purposes.

-Live close to work!

When I moved to the Detroit area, I found myself an apartment less than three miles from work, and had to rent it sight unseen from Minnesota. It turned out ok. But after two years, I wanted something better, with a garage and more space. I kid you not, my girlfriend had a dream that led us directly to the rental house we've got now, which is a mile from work, and basically the same price per month when considering winter truck storage!

I'm also less than two miles from the grocery store, Lowes and the post office; a short walk to three restaurants and a liquor store; and just down the street from a park. Dumb luck, you might say. But hey, living close to work is possible- you just have to look!

-Don't be afraid of the weather, or work (ie, prepare for it)

I use my bicycle(s) for daily transportation. I have fenders, cargo racks and a cargo trailer. I can and have hauled things most people would think are too big or heavy for a bike. I have a rather small amount of outdoor clothing that keeps me reasonably comfortable from below zero all the way to the humid 80's. Clothing is the key to staying warm- if it's cold, ride fast enough to warm your muscles up. If it's raining, wear rain gear. If it's snowy and icy, focus on deliberate balance and mountain biking techniques.

Don't give up! Your skills and strength will improve in time- riding single track mountain bike trails in the summer will help both. Ride to the trails, enjoy, and ride back from them. Take 'road trips' and errands to stretch your endurance. At the bare minimum, give it six months to a year.

-Shop around for insurance

One thing that can help you out and give you piece of mind is a good renters policy. Talk to your insurance agent, and shop around. I have several bikes "scheduled" on my policy, which means that if they were stolen, I would be compensated for their actual replacement cost, not <$100, which the company might otherwise offer for a bicycle.

As for car insurance, I had trouble insuring my Honda cheaply because of its engine swap. Once I sold that (and went to one vehicle) I could insure with the parent company (National General), and my car insurance dropped not by 50%, but by 70%! So even with a multi car discount, it is cheaper per-car for me to just have the truck. Shop around; you may find yourself in a similar situation!

-Learn the laws in your area

There is quite a bit of talk around the EM forums about bicycle aeromods and e-bikes. Find your Secretary of State website and look up the statutes. Read them. Can you ride a bicycle on the sidewalk, or on the road? Which roads are you allowed on? Are e-bikes allowed? What traffic laws are you exempt from, and what are the restrictions? Don't go on third-hand rumors when it comes to the law. Read it yourself. An informed cyclist is a safer cyclist, and a consistent, predictable cyclist, whether on the road or the sidewalk, is an even safer one.

This goes for motorists, too, as there is a lot of nonsense floating around with regards to tint laws, mirrors, ride height, etc.

-Have fun!

If you set up your life close to work and the things you need in life, you're right on track. But don't forget to make it enjoyable, so you look forward to your commute! I have a couple vintage Schwinns that I ride to work or errands now and then in nice weather because why not! My current daily (below) is a fat bike. It makes riding in the winter downright easy compared to every other bike, and allows me to easily explore along the creeks and forests in my suburban area on a whim.

Find something you like, and incorporate it into your commute. Maybe you like roller-blading or skateboarding. Maybe you like to jog. These are all great options for keeping the commute fun and fresh. When you get to work, you may find others will want to try it too!

Always remember that cycling and the like are social activities, too. Errands can be fun if you go with a friend or your SO. It may take longer to get somewhere, but that time seems shorter when you get to chat with someone, and if you're by yourself it gives you often much-needed time to reflect on the day and let your mind naturally wander. It helps you slow down and de-stress, often not having to think about rush-hour traffic. It builds planning skills, as errand consolidation is much more effective when you're moving slower.

I hope this helps or encourages somebody here, because it took me a couple years and a lot of prodding to finally make the move and sell my car. I'm still very much a car enthusiast and love my truck, but I'm glad to have found alternative daily transportation that works for me. It's all about balance... as my Civic's bumper sticker said, "Walk in balance on Mother Earth".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
AndrzejM (06-16-2015), Cd (06-16-2015), Daox (05-18-2015), Joggernot (05-08-2015), UltArc (06-17-2015), Vman455 (05-07-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Detroit? Good luck buddy. Might want to get a CHL if you're walking to work

My civic thread
Old 05-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
Detroit? Good luck buddy. Might want to get a CHL if you're walking to work
Now Chrysler Kid quit poo pooing on his parade. Idealism is the PC version of "hope and change."

And now that the poster has health insurance coverage under ACA it will all work out in the end.

Peddle Forrest! Peddle!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I love the idea of biking to work. I love the idea of the exercise. I'm glad to see someone actually doing it.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
The PRC.

Praise be, the liquor store is walkable

Wish I could move closer to work but like a lot in the UK I've moved for juniors school.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I have already considered biking again, but there is some hilly terrain preventing me from doing so.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad View Post
And now that the poster has health insurance coverage under ACA it will all work out in the end.
Health insurance from work, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I love the idea of biking to work. I love the idea of the exercise. I'm glad to see someone actually doing it.
I would suggest doing a dry run on the weekend sometime. It's a great way to start the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Praise be, the liquor store is walkable

Wish I could move closer to work but like a lot in the UK I've moved for juniors school.
Indeed. Liquor and pizza within a quarter mile.

I hear having a family complicates things. Thankfully have not gone down that road yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I have already considered biking again, but there is some hilly terrain preventing me from doing so.
I'm lucky that this area is very flat (drained swampland). Have you considered a trike? Since they don't require balance, you can just shift down and spin at whatever pace you like.

-----

Thanks for all the replies
Old 05-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Try an e-bike. A DIY is a fun project and not too pricey. Who knows, you might actually find you like electric vehicles.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Fun with a diesel bicycle...
bikes.html
Quote:
"The Bum Trike"
Generic Tricycle and Launtop LA170 diesel engine (Yanmar Clone)
Engine Kit Price: $300
Pros: None
Cons: Since the engine rotated counterclockwise, it was necessary to use a "jackshaft" to couple the motor to the rear axle of the trike. It is extremely difficult to get a jackshaft aligned properly without using precise machining equipment to build the mounts. Trikes are very unstable, and this one was a disaster.
Well it aint easy

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I'm lucky that this area is very flat (drained swampland). Have you considered a trike? Since they don't require balance, you can just shift down and spin at whatever pace you like.
Balance is not the problem. Anyway, maybe a trike would be interesting if it provided some space to haul my dog.

Reply  Post New Thread