Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Garage Job

Just wanted to share with you a scale model of a, hopefully, aerodynamic vehicle I made from clay. The model is 1/5 scale. In reality the wheelbase of the vehicle would be 104 inches. That would be about the size of the present day Toyota Prius.

I actually gave this design to Ford Motor Company, my old employer. I am very proud of the fact Ford stands alone in not taking any bailout money. There are some good men doing great things at Ford, Mr. Alan Mulally and Mr. Derrick Kuzak, to mention a couple. There are hundreds more who deserve mention also. I received two emails from Ford thanking me for the submission of the model. Since it was an unsolicited gift, I was flattered that Ford accepted it. I was even more flattered by the kind words they said within their emails. I just hope the design of this car I did has some aspect to it which is useful to Ford.

I do wish General Motors and Chrysler the best. We must keep our domestic car manufacturing alive and well in this country. It is very important to our future as a sovereign nation.

I shared the model with Phil Knox too. He had some very nice things to say. He feels the Cd may come in under .20 or less. I would love to put this one in a wind tunnel or run it in a CFD simulation to find out.

Bondo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0004.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	3731   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010717.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	3732   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0014.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	3733   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0011.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3734   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0005.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	3735  

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
That's a very nice looking car, Bondo. I'd like to see cars like that on the road, but even if Ford does start to work on it, I'm afraid that the final result will be watered down to something just slightly more aero than today's cars. I appears that car companies can only take small steps and are afraid of great leaps. I've seen similar looking cars for years at auto shows, but none have made it to the production line

BTW: The rear doors look quite complicated.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 06-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting, but a couple of questions. Why the upswept look from front to back? Does it do anything for aerodynamics? If it's just for looks, I hate it - the lines of a car should be level.

Do the vertical elements (spoilers? tailfins?) serve a useful purpose? If not, they could be removed.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
What is the slope of the roof from the back of the front door (no B-pillar) to the tail, relative to horizontal?

I think I see the point of the open loop at the tail. You are trying to pin the side vortex and direct it into the true wake area, and reducing the wake vacuum. Only the wind tunnel could tell us for sure if it works.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 06-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Nice work...slick!

I have a few questions too...

1. Wouldn't the view out the rear window be extremely limited in this vehicle because the rear window is so flat?
2. With the sharp angle of the rear of the vehicle near the rear doors wouldn't it be difficult to get into the car...little space when door is open?
3. Is this an all-electric car and if not where would the engine heat dissipate since there is no front grille?

Old 06-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You are right Piwoslaw about concept cars being toned down when they get to production. It is usually due to manufacturing considerations and costs. Very observant of you on the back door. It is complex. I feel the pivot point is outboard enough to allow it to swing at the front with out binding, maybe. It will have to be made from composite or thermoform for the draw would be too deep for stamped metal or aluminum.

jamesqf, the upswept look is for aerodynamic considerations. I too like straight level lines in design but they are difficult, for me, to integrate into a complex aerodynamic shape. I look at dolphins, sharks, things of nature which move through water. These creatures have few if any level lines. The fins on the back do have a function. They can be warped to assist in directional stability and to add to what Big Dave surmised.

Yeah Big Dave, it is all about the wake. Cargo capacity is lost but, hopefully, reduction in Cd is achieved. The wind tunnel will tell. I do not know what the angle is you ask for. I approached this vehicle design as sculpture, no drawings, all by eye. I sculpted the aerocap by eye also and got lucky on the choice of angle. It is very important.

Here are a couple if pictures of the back of the car and a plan view shot. The vent above the rear bumper is part of a patent I filed last year. Who knows, may work, may not, you got to try.

Thanks to all,

Bondo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010712.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	3737   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010741.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	3738   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010728.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	3739  
Old 06-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
Nice work...slick!

I have a few questions too...

1. Wouldn't the view out the rear window be extremely limited in this vehicle because the rear window is so flat?
2. With the sharp angle of the rear of the vehicle near the rear doors wouldn't it be difficult to get into the car...little space when door is open?
3. Is this an all-electric car and if not where would the engine heat dissipate since there is no front grille?

Thanks for the compliment Matt. Rear visibility is restricted. In the new pictures I just posted you can see there are two rear windows which should allow for a decent field of rearward vision.

Rear doors are tight. When the back doors are open, there will be a textured shelf on which to step onto to help you enter and exit the vehicle.

It is all electric. I built a small working model, of the patent I filed just last year, 18 years ago. It worked. I am presently constructing a full scale model. I have had three degreed Engineers look at the idea and thay all told me it is not perpetual motion. All three said it may even work! I value thier input for I respect those who have Engineering degrees. Without Engineers, we would all still be in the stone age.

Bondo
Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
very creative!

its art, plain and simple
Old 06-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Wow, super nice work!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
It's a gorgeous design, and thus (sadly) completely unpalatable to 'mericans (who don't post on Ecomodder) who actually appreciate the importance of not squandering fuel.