Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Congrats! I'll be getting married next year to my high school sweetheart (after dating for 12 years).

Last time I rented a car (last month) I went with a "compact" and got a Yaris. I was interested to see what the agency considers "sub-compact." According to the website it'd have been a Metro or similar... Anywho, I kept the speed down, didn't idle the engine, and opted to walk when I could (well, not as often as I should). So, +1 to the it just gets less pronounced.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
Congrats! I'll be getting married next year to my high school sweetheart (after dating for 12 years).

Last time I rented a car (last month) I went with a "compact" and got a Yaris. I was interested to see what the agency considers "sub-compact." According to the website it'd have been a Metro or similar... Anywho, I kept the speed down, didn't idle the engine, and opted to walk when I could (well, not as often as I should). So, +1 to the it just gets less pronounced.
Wow dude, congrats on the highschool sweetheart thing, I was trying to do that, dated my highschool sweetheart for almost 4 years before she got too antsy to keep dating me and gave up waiting for graduation and moved on.

The Yaris is such a great car though. If you ever have to rent a car, it's a very common car and it gets AMAZING gas millage in the standard transmission model. My friend just got the 4-door model and she is getting 60MPG!! all she does is shift at 2300RPM, that's it.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Congratulations, tasdrouille!

I went on a trip to Newfoundland last summer and made a conscious choice to NOT rent a car. Walked and took public transit instead when in St John's. Well, the focus of the trip was walking, really - hiking on the East Coast Trail. Of course I took a jet to get there, so... (Well, part of the trip was by turboprop!)
Ah beautiful nfld! I went to St-John's and Corner Brook 2 years ago. It was only a 3 days trip for work, but I rushed around till dawn after work to see the most of it. I only went around town, to signal hill and visited cape spear. Next time around I'll take some time in the Avalon peninsula and Gros Morne park.

Talking about taking a jet. I don't know about other airlines, but with Air Canada you can pay an extra to offset your carbon footprint for the trip. I said no thanks, I'll plant a tree myself.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

pontiac trans am - '00 pontiac firebird trans am

jeep 1 - '02 jeep wrangler
90 day: 16.76 mpg (US)

jeep 2 - '07 jeep wrangler x
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Toyota - '09 Toyota Corolla lx
congrats -married 5 years here, we've had our ups and downs but its been worth every minute.

i drive my rv it gets a whopping 10 mi to the gallon (im taking it out to wyoming in a week for the rainbow gathering) i will be doing some aero mods to it which will help and it will be loaded with 10 people and lots of gear, plus i wont have to stop for many restroom breaks (mainly my own which is usually when i fill up also)

once i get to my destinations though i walk or ride bike, sometimes i drive if i towed another vehicle (i usually get slightly better mpg when towing so thats a bonus) but my next trip will be all walking. as for my driving style, rv's can only be hypermiled so much do to the aerodynamics, i casnt P&G mine but i do coast to stops, in an rv people are more understanding about that (i usually tell passengers that it helps with stopping if they even notice) also i will not drive over 60 mph

again congrats on your wedding
Old 06-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Ah beautiful nfld! I went to St-John's and Corner Brook 2 years ago.
I'm green with envy! The "East Coast" is high on my list for travel (Canada, of course )

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
Last time I rented a car (last month) I went with a "compact" and got a Yaris. I was interested to see what the agency considers "sub-compact."
It's difficult to rent an "Economy" car (or Sub-Compact) these days. The compact and economy car prices have often been the same. In the small locales that I can't choose a vehicle, I'll reserve an E-car, and get a compact. Happens all the time.

I sometimes end up with an Aveo, which is the only "sub" I can get my hands on.

The odd thing: take a look at the EPA SubCompact list. You'll find the BMW 3 and 6 Series, Bentley Continental, and Ford Mustang. Car agencies take a different approach

RH77

_
_
Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
You're getting married, man. Don't worry about the gas. Congratulations!

Getting married is one of the few things in life I can say I did right.