Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
How to wire DRLs

In many parts of the world driving with your lights on during the day is mandatory for part or all of the year. Also, many drivers keep their lights on, even if they are not required to, for safety reasons. Unfortunately, the extra electrical load (150-200W) increases fuel consumption.

Daytime running lights, especially LEDs, can provide the same visibility while consuming much less power because:
  • They produce only enough light to make the vehicle visible, not to illuminate the whole road ahead,
  • Only the DRLs are on, while the position, dashboard, and license plate lights stay off, since they are not needed.
A pair of LED DRLs can use as little as 10 watts. In the Europe, all 2012 model year cars must have OEM fitted DRLs.

So, I've started this thread to help make it easier to install DRLs, especially the from the electrical side, which may be a little tricky. European law says that DRLs must turn on when the key is in the position which allows the engine to be operational (though the engine itself need not be turning), and must turn off when the headlights or high beams turn on (except when only flashing the highbeams). Here is a diagram of how my DRLs are wired to fulfill these requirements, and a few extras:

On the left is an ON-OFF-ON switch, the middle pin gets +12V from the accessories wire (off when engine is off). Position II (AUTO) routes through the relay, which disconnects the DRL when the headlights turn on. Position I (ON) bypasses the relay directly to the DRL, so they do not turn off when the headlights go on.
The LED at the top is mounted in the cabin to let the driver know if the DRLs are lit up.

The bypass is not really needed, but may come in handy (for example as foglights). You may want a way to turn the DRLs off, since there are places where using them is illegal (or at least was a few years ago), for example on highways in Portugal, or in Greece within city limits. I'm not sure if this is still the case, if not then the switch itself (and even the cabin LED) can be omitted for simplicity.

In my cockpit you can see the small LED (not lit) above the I-0-II rocker switch on the right:

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-23-2012 at 01:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
SentraSE-R (01-23-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

14 Mirage - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 68.74 mpg (US)
Nice diagram!
Are you saying you have to equip your vehicle with DRLs even when it was not factory equipped to conform to the law?

Luckily my car did not come with it. I think here in the US it is illegal to disable the DRLs if the vehicle is factory equipped with it.

Some vehicles use the high beam at a reduced intensity (PWM) for DRL.

My wife's 2000 GMC Jimmy turns off the DRL when the turn signal is used. (might be a fluke but I saw it when she followed me once).

Also here they are hooked up to where there has to be daylight (sensor on dash), the vehicle has to be shifted out of park,and the parking brake can not be set in order for them to come on! Makes it hard to check for one person if looking for a burned out DRL bulb. (I'm only familiar with GM vehicles).

Lastly I love your switches! What are they all?

Barna

Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
Are you saying you have to equip your vehicle with DRLs even when it was not factory equipped to conform to the law?
No, only new vehicles must have them, but retrofitting older cars is becoming popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
Lastly I love your switches! What are they all?
I described the switches in the cockpit thread.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
You should also notice that if you have ksenon headlamps they don`t worn out so much and you don`t have to change the expensive light bulbs so often. Which can be even bigger saving than the electrical load savings . Same goes for regular halogens also if your car is so difficult to replace the bulbs that it need to take out the front bumber etc at car service which takes time and costs money.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 01-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
The EU directive regarding DRL takes priority over national legislation.
You are allowed to fit them if they comply to the directive, and use them in all conditions where regular headlights are not made mandatory, in the entire EU.

Reply  Post New Thread